What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First screw up--opinion please

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I assume that I am not the first to do this, but.....

when drilling the lower J channel I drilled the single holes on either side of the ends of the nut plate sections. Not the end nut plate hole, but the next one out. I figured out I had screwed up when I rotated 180 and started drilling. one set of holes is off by 1/16 or less, while the others don't overlap.

I assume that I should just not use the lower j channel and order another. I have another set for the other wing, so I really won't lose any time waiting.

I can use the extra piece for practice.

Thoughts?

Ken

Yup

I did the same, called Vans, told me to just make a doubler and move on. I ordered a replacement (thinking that I didnt want my FIRST move to be a screw up). Parts were delivered within a week and was reasonable in cost.

I did the same also (on my second wing, :rolleyes:). I plan on doing the doubler, J channel isn't exactly high load structural.

Really I wanted to replace it like LAMPSguy but didn't want to wait around before working the nut plates.

I think that the issue with the doubler is that there are 6 holes which would need the doublers. I assum that the doublers need to span a few holes or am I worng?

Again, since I am doing one wing at a time, I can use the J channel for the other wing right now and it does not matter when I get the other J channel.

I might tell them to call it out a bit better on the plans not to drill those holes. My eye sight is not bad but I still drilled them anyway.

Ken

Wrong holes

Since several people seemed to made the same mistake, would someone please circle the part on the plans where not to drill and take a picture of it, for a clearer understanding? I am waiting on my wings, but any mistake I can avoid, would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have plenty of other oops moments. Thanks.

Just to be distinct

Look at my previous post KC just linked to, but count the holes: 4 sets of 3 holes for the nut plates, PLUS one extra on each side of them for a total of 14 holes to NOT drill.

Wish that was my only mistake.

Think I paid $15 for the replacement J channel. Didn't want the first step on my project to be a mistake.

Since several people seemed to made the same mistake, would someone please circle the part on the plans where not to drill and take a picture of it, for a clearer understanding? I am waiting on my wings, but any mistake I can avoid, would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I will have plenty of other oops moments. Thanks.

Noted on the WIKI Plans. see link for dropbox account below.

Back