What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with Garmin SL60...I'm stumped

Jack Tyler

Well Known Member
For those of you familiar with the ex-Apollo SL60, I'm a new user who can't get the Com side to work as advertised. Here's the scoop:
-- NAV seems to work fine so far
-- On boot-up a WX freq defaults into the Active freq slot. I can select any freq from any of the stored freq groups and 'ENT it in the Standby slot but, when I hit the flip-flop, the Active WX freq (always 162.40) moves to the Standby slot and the same 162.40 freq appears in the Active slot. I'm left with two slots filled with the same 162.40 freq.
-- Even an alternative WX freq disappears when using the flip-flop, replaced by the same 162.40 freq. And if hitting the flip-flop to transfer the selected freq direct from one of the freq groups, the same thing happens when hitting the flip-flop.

I guess the most accurate description of the symptom (not the cause) is that the Active slot refuses to accept any freq except 162.40. The flip-flop button itself doesn't seem to be malfunctioning, as it does attempt to move the Standby freq by pulling it out of the Standby slot. The manual seems well written and these Com activities seem to all be simply described. Perhaps the worst thing is that, when I first got the unit, it worked as advertised...but only for the first flight.

Ring any bells? Any comments would sure be welcomed.

Jack

Jack,

Give Apollo/GarminAT in Oregon a call. They will be glad to help you. At that number you are contacting the original Apollo folks and they are still quite proud of their family of radios.

Apollo Aviation

Monday?Friday: 8 AM?4:30 PM Pacific Time (closed holidays)
U.S.: 503-391-3411
U.S. Toll-free: 1-800-525-6726

Thanks for the referral. As it happens, I already did that and the phone diagnosis was a broken flip-flop. So...off it went to Garmin. No further need to comment as I'd hate to hear there was just a software 'click' that I wasn't making. <g>

Jack

Back