What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

which is the best inverted oil system?

Rkfrv6

I'm New Here
I am trying to choose between the Christen and Raven inverted oil systems. I have a RV-6 with Cont. O-320-A2D. I have read in forums that the Raven is a little smaller and less expensive. Other than that does anyone know if one performs better than the other or if there are other things that should be considered?

Thanks
Kevin

Toss up...

The two systems are almost identical in operation and I have never found that one is better than the other. If buying a used system I would look for the best deal and that would include the hoses as they are quite expensive if bought separately. A used system is likely as good as new as they just don't seem to wear out. Replacement of the check valve ball is usually all that may be needed. Bought new, I would favor the Raven system as it is likely to cost less and their customer support is superior IMHO.

Inverted systems

I've put two Ravens on our two RVs. Compared to the Christen that I had on a Pitts in the past, based on memory of the Christen, the Raven uses a fitting on the vacuum pad to get the oil while inverted and the Christen has a tee in the vent line as a pickup. I suppose the Christen is simpler, but I prefer Raven's solution as it has a dedicated line for each purpose and the vacuum pump pad cover is a nicely made piece. The price and support were great as well.

Tommy

I've put two Ravens on our two RVs. Compared to the Christen that I had on a Pitts in the past, based on memory of the Christen, the Raven uses a fitting on the vacuum pad to get the oil while inverted and the Christen has a tee in the vent line as a pickup. I suppose the Christen is simpler, but I prefer Raven's solution as it has a dedicated line for each purpose and the vacuum pump pad cover is a nicely made piece. The price and support were great as well.

Tommy

You can do the same with the Christen. Christen sells the vacuum pad adapter, Raven sells a less expensive one which works with either system. We installed the Christen system and used the Raven pad to eliminate the Tee.

Go Raven

I think it would be very difficult to quantify "best" when it comes to the two competitors. I owned an Christen system but I never installed it. I've installed two Raven systems. The systems are very similar. The Raven is a knock-off of the Christen system. I believe either will work equally well.

If you wan't to but "Christen Inverted Oil System" in your future for sale ad, then go that direction. But, that's the only reason I can see you'd choose the Christen system. It's at least three times as expensive as the equally effective, and nearly identical Raven system.

Hoses (and fittings) were mentioned in another post as being an expensive part of the installation. That is certainly true. The aviation supplier hoses will cost you at least $600 for a system and that's before fire sleeve. But, if you go the more economical and functionally equivalent route using auto racing hoses, you can cut the hose cost at least in half.

If it were me, I'd call Raven for the inverted oil system and Summit Racing for the hoses and fittings. You can install a full inverted system for $1500 by taking this route.

Knock off

The Christen is a knock off of the system originally designed by Curtis Pitts, many years before Christen got involved.
I don't like the way Raven mounts the three way valve. Really Mickey Mouse.
Another factor is that the Raven operation is for sale so who knows what the future holds. Of course Pitts/Christen is also for sale.

Raven Oil Valve

The Christen is a knock off of the system originally designed by Curtis Pitts, many years before Christen got involved.
I don't like the way Raven mounts the three way valve. Really Mickey Mouse.
Another factor is that the Raven operation is for sale so who knows what the future holds. Of course Pitts/Christen is also for sale.

I'm not sure what you dislike about the Raven Oil Valve mounting method. I found it far easier to work with than the Christen Oil Valve. Perhaps by "Mickey Mouse" you mean the two part construction using the hose clamps. You're right, its not a solid piece like the Christen valve but the huge advantage is that you can rotate the valve nearly 180 degrees to perfectly position it for your hoses. With the Christen valve you get an option of parallel or 90 degrees off of the firewall and that's it. I found the ability to rotate the Raven valve to be a big help and it provided a lot of installation flexibility. Once those clamps are tightened, I assure you the Raven valve isn't going anywhere. It is very solidly constructed.

The Raven Valve
IMG_0525-L.jpg

IMG_0527-L.jpg

The Christen Valve
IMG_1058-L.jpg

Back