What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery Care < First Engine Start

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Looking ahead here - a new battery comes with the Power Plant Kit. I'm interested to know what kind of battery maintenance is desirable.

I called the battery Mfg. who advised me to purchase one of their 'approved' battery chargers and use it. Some of the RV people that I know suggested that I don't worry about it - keep it upright, etc.

What do you recommend?

CTEK charger

Same stage here. I received my Odyssey battery some weeks ago, but I am still 1 year+ before flying.
I was recently talking to a local Odyssey battery representative regarding chargers and was recommended to go with an intelligent CTEK charger (approx. 150$).
http://smartercharger.com/

I haven't bought a charger yet, so I am interested in any recommendations as well.

The (inexpensive) HF type ferro-ressonant chargers are described as "battery killers" by an expert. I don't know the specs of the charger listed but the best chargers have 3 rates, ending with a "float" rate.

It's fairly safe to say that for the price quoted, this charger has those toys and whistles. Check in further, it'll be worth your while!

I store several car batteries for the off season. I put a small LED on the battery to cause a few mA current draw to allow the chemistry to work a little bit. I hit the battery with a float or trickle charger once a month. Been doing this for years with good results.

If you use an Odyssey battery and fly at least every six months or so, no charger is required or desired.

If you drain the battery by prolonged ground panel operation or such you can use any standard charger to bring the batter back up - BUT DO NOT leave the charger on the battery and walk away. Put a voltmeter on the battery as you charge it. Once the battery terminal voltage gets to 14vdc or so, remove the charger. This does not take long.

If you want to run the panel on an external power source, buy a real 20 or 30 amp regulated power supply and have a ground power connection (a simple Molex plug works well). Astron power supplies are always on eBay for under $100.

Carl

I store several car batteries for the off season. I put a small LED on the battery to cause a few mA current draw to allow the chemistry to work a little bit. I hit the battery with a float or trickle charger once a month. Been doing this for years with good results.

Hi Jim,

Interesting idea about the LED. I keep 3 or 4 boat batteries over the winter. What is your "chemistry" ccommment based on?

John

Battery Tender

I bought a new Odessy yesterday and the guy told me it's good to use a battery tender. I used one on my old plane and the battery lasted 12 years.....

Hi Jim,

Interesting idea about the LED. I keep 3 or 4 boat batteries over the winter. What is your "chemistry" ccommment based on?

John

I don't have a scientific explanation. Guys have been doing this for years. Used low wattage filament light bulbs before LED were invented. Light bulbs were used intermittently but LED's can stay connected for very long time because current draw is miniscule. LED's invented - I must be old...

Jim,
Isn't it also keeping the battery active as part of the chemistry piece?

As opposed to just sitting inactive all winter, then putting on the charger as spring arrives. What do you think?

Jim,
Isn't it also keeping the battery active as part of the chemistry piece?

As opposed to just sitting inactive all winter, then putting on the charger as spring arrives. What do you think?

I suspect so. All I know is putting slight drain on a lead-acid battery in long term storage has worked well for me.

Back