What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage options / additions or subtractions?

Av8rRob

Well Known Member
So I'm getting along with my tail kit and probably going to order the fuselage kit next. (I plan on ordering the quick build wings toward the end of my build). Anyways, the vans website doesn't have any options listed for the fuselage kit but is there anything you would add or delete from the order?

Thanks

Yes, for me I would leave out the plastic eyeball vents and replace with aluminum vents. There are several vendors that sell them. Stein Air, Aerosport products are two that I can think of.

If you're building a taildragger go ahead and order the steps. Not much besides those and the vents as Ron mentioned. When you get the fuse kit make sure to check inside the pushrods - Vans hides parts inside them ;)

If you're building a taildragger go ahead and order the steps. Not much besides those and the vents as Ron mentioned. When you get the fuse kit make sure to check inside the pushrods - Vans hides parts inside them ;)

I did not find anything that I recall in mine. I painted inside so hopefully I did not miss anything. Maybe there was some hinge stock sticking out in plain view that I do not recall , but I also wasn't missing any parts either so I should be good.

Great thanks guys, a few questions. Are those aluminum vent a direct replacement of the plastic ones? The steps are not included with the fuselage kit? A see that control sticks come with it but vans and tosten offers a "different"? Stick. Does anyone know why they are different? Should I go ahead and buy my stick grips now?

Call Tosten about for more info about the control sticks. Vans has a pre-wired stick that already has the stick switches assigned but they are assembled by Tosten. You have some options there.

Don't know about Steins vents but Vans has some too. I'm guessing either would work. Seems like there was an older thread on that so you will want to look for it.

Ditto on the plastic vents, delete them from the kit. Due to the shape of the vent mounts (one mounting corner trimmed off) you will probably need to trim whichever ones you buy. Keep in mind also the size of the fuselage vs your workspace as assemblies get large and unwieldy with the fuselage.

Great thanks guys, a few questions. Are those aluminum vent a direct replacement of the plastic ones? The steps are not included with the fuselage kit? A see that control sticks come with it but vans and tosten offers a "different"? Stick. Does anyone know why they are different? Should I go ahead and buy my stick grips now?

I used the Stein vents and think I modified the mounts for a smaller od. hole. The steps are included for the RV-14A but might be an option for the RV-14. If you are sure you want a certain type of grip, I see no reason not to purchase now, but if you're not sure on your avionics and all the functions you will need in the stick grip I would hold off as there is no rush. I myself wanted more functions in the stick and went with the Infinity grips (had them in the RV-10) and like them.

And beyond fuselage.......

The firewall forward kit will soon be on your horizon and I decided to go with a Vetterman Exhaust system. So now I need to send back Vans exh kit for a refund. Great that Vans will refund, shipping is on me.
So, decide which exhaust system before ordering.

H

I opted to switch out Vans' wheels and brake systems for the Beringer RV14A wheels and brakes. It's a cost upgrade but I felt it is worth it. Also went for the Steinair aluminum eyeball vents.

Well depending on what you are going to do for your panel you might want them to omit it from the kit. It's a big piece to return. I have a sectioned panel so I don't need the one they sent.

Also not from Vans, but I ending up ordering the pitch servo mount to install in the Aft Fuselage section while I had great access. I'm using Trutrak so I ordered that bracket from them and I'm I did. Not that it couldn't be added later.

Questions

As stated in other responses, you will have to take off a corner of the aluminum vents, but really no big deal. They are tons better. The difference in the stick is because of the grip. If you use the Tosten grip, it sits up too high with the stock Van's sticks, it will hit your panel. The Tosten stick has a little more curve in it and he also pre-drills the holes for you, a huge help. They are undersized a little so you can get a good fit. You can wait to get your stick grips, but Tosten is really good and will pre-wire it for you with the plug at the bottom to attach to Van's harness. You will probably want to spend some time planning that out though, no need to rush it now. Definitely order the steps, if you are going to use them. Van's does not include them in the taildragger kit because not everyone will want them. When you get the fuselage, make sure you install those brackets that are for the steps.

Don't take anything out of the panel because Van's doesn't send the actual panel, just the subpanel parts, which you will need. They are expecting you are going to take care of the panel yourself. Several vendors can help with that and if you are going to customize your panel, the person you get your avionics from can help with that.

The wheels and brakes are in the finishing kit and you have time to figure out if you want to go with the Berenger wheels, very nice product. I would have, had I known about them when I was at that point. The exhaust comes in the FWF, which is after the finishing kit, so again, plenty of time to figure out the exhaust as well. So you have lots of time before you are there, especially assuming you are going to do your wings after your fuselage.

As stated in other responses, you will have to take off a corner of the aluminum vents, but really no big deal. They are tons better.

Just so no one equates more expensive and works better, with lasts a log time...
I agree the expensive aluminum vents are nice and work well (primarily in the context of shutting off more fully), but they are a precision aluminum mechanical assy. which begins to not work so well when the parts begin to wear.
The prototype RV-10 is now on its third set since new (~2100 hrs), so they probably lasted 1000 hrs or so. Not all that bad I guess, but considering the cost I have the cheapies in my own airplane and I made some quick to install/remove foam plugs that seal them off when weather gets cold.

Back