What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 FLO-SCAN PROBLEM

JBPILOT

Well Known Member
My FLO-SCAN slowed, then stopped working very recently. I have over 930 hours on it. I spoke with a tech at Flow-Scan, and he said I could use carb cleaner inside it to help clean it. He told me the rotor inside pivots on Jewels. Since the flow of a Rotax engine is low, the rotor likely does not spin very fast, and needs to spin very freely. Don't know what happened with mine, but I put carb cleaner inside it and shook it a bunch. I cleaned it with starting fluid to clean any left over cleaner out.

I removed the sampler drain on the gascolator, and installed a plastic 1/8" straight hose barb fitting finger tight. I put about a foot of plastic tubing over that and into a gas can. When I turned on the master, and the elec pump started, the ultimate GPH showed at over 20 GPH. I run about 12 gals of gas thru it, and then reinstalled the sampler drain fitting in the gascolator.

Without the engine running, the flow reads 2.0 GPH which would represent the return flow from the bleeder to the tank.

By the way, a new Flo-Scan is about $210. Seems to work perfectly again.

Hope this helps others.

Thanks for the information John!
I have read other stories about similar circumstances involving a Flo-Scan acting up. I had read the insides are very delicate and precise so the smallest bit of something can cause issues.

Good to hear about your cleaning instructions and that it worked in getting this expensive accessory back on-line.

Thanks again and safe flying to you!!

Back