What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Modification Suggestions

jswareiv

Well Known Member
Looking for a good list of modification suggestions for the 10. Just received the tail kit and will be ordering the QB Wings and Fuselage. I know I want to add rudder trim, some people posting about the dual motors for elevator trim, better locks on the doors, etc. Basically looking for a list of mods to consider before that part gets built a certain way, like the rudder. It's easier to add in the trim before riveting that skin on. All 10 mods appreciated, not just for the empennage. I like to plan ahead. Appreciate all suggestions. Thanks.

Get out the popcorn!

This is going to be an exhaustive thread!

There are many mods, for sure. I will have to say that each mod you make will increase the build time, possibly by a lot.

That being said, I opted for several. I did th ER fuel tanks, planearound third door latch (which should be mandatory), showplanes cowl and induction, aerosport overhead console, EFII dual system aerosport vent valvle and NAca vents...just to start....

Plane Around center door latch, and wheel pants mount spacer. I consider these two option to fall into the "Safety" side of things, not just something nice to have.

Rudder trim.

Matco front axle.

Door pull down straps.

Front shoulder harness hanger on ceiling.

Split tunnel front top cover, and tunnel side access hatches.

No fancy paint job on lower half of wheel pants.

Rudder pedal long bolts, master cylinder return springs.

Good luck with your build:D

Here's my 2 cents:
Highly recommended--MATCO nose wheel NW511.25, MATCO front axel,machined main gear axel extensions, PlaneAround main gear fairing spacer brackets, and PlaneAround center door latch.

IMO everything else is a "nice to have" and really gets into the subjective taste of the individual builder (and I have plenty of mods). IOW almost all of the potential mods are not necessary despite the passion that some builders attach to them. There's nothing wrong with these mods, it's just they aren't essential to building a nice RV.

Probably the only mod I consider required is the machined main gear axle extender. Lots of the other mods are nice to have, but I don't consider them required. The Matco nose wheel mods are nice, the center door latch is nice, etc, but I don't consider them safety of flight issues as some do.

The bottom cowl lower hinges are easy to replace with 063" aluminum plates with either Camlock type fasteners or screws and nutplates.

Probably the only mod I consider required is the machined main gear axle extender. Lots of the other mods are nice to have, but I don't consider them required. .

Another option it to send the main gear fairing back to Van's for credit and buy the fairings from James Aircraft. It takes a little work to fit them up but the eliminate the "wide body" issue that requires the extender. Considering they are still full recovery pants but with less frontal area, I assume there is some drag reduction.

Of interest, I hear third hand rumor that Van's is not happy with the wheel pant extension either - and that they might go to a different design. Others might have a better pipe than I into the Van's rumor mill.

Carl

Great ideas

Great ideas, thank you and keep them coming. I am making my list. At this point, I'm not 100% sure what some of them are, but I'll get there. Thank you for your input. Doesn't have to be mission critical. I added headset holders in my 14 like Van's did. Stupid little thing, but I really like having them there out of the way when not using them and out of sight.

Good point

I wouldn't consider a heated pitot a mod, though. Given the general mission profile if the -10, I would consider it mandatory...

So without getting into whether one should or shouldn’t add a particular mod (as I have already commented on that aspect) here's a list off the top of my head:

Windshield/windows
Camlocs for cowl in lieu of stock hinges
Overhead console (OHC)
Aluminum eyeball air vents
Center door latch
Additional rear NACA vent(s) to supply air to OHC
Front seatbelt hanger
Inertial reel seatbelts
Upgraded seatbelts (Crow, Hooker, etc)
External power receptacle
Belly Cargo pod
MATCO Front axel
MATCO NW511.25 nose wheel
5052 rigid fuel lines
TEFLON Brake and fuel lines
Parking Brake
Tunnel side access panel
Main gear axel extension
Main gear fairing bracket
Aluminum windshield fairing
Nutplates/screws for fairing attachment vs blind rivets
Door seals on frame vs on stock location (on the door)
Front seat rail mod
Rudder trim
Static vents
Oil cooler air butterfly shutoff valve
Upgraded fuel selector valve
Alt static air
Alt fuel vent
Windshield defrost vents with fans
Baggage tiedowns
Baggage door strut/stop
Instrument panel
Door handles/locks (exterior & interior)
Door lift struts
Gear intersection fairings
Door pin blocks
Click-Bond nutplates vs riveted nutplates on fairings
Torx head #6 & #8 screws vs Philips (primarily for fairings)
Beringer wheels and brakes
Rudder Strobe/Nav light mounting ring
Engine Plenum vs baffling
Engine Cowl (Sam James vs Stock)
SS heat boxes vs stock aluminum
Step insert
Fuel vents
Rudder pedal extensions
Brake pedal long bolt mod
Brake return spring on master cylinders
Fuel caps
Oil door hinges and latches

Last edited:
Just because you can..

..doesn't mean you should. Take it from me, besides the cost, modifications add time, lots of time, to your build, and may not live up to your expectations as "improvements." That's not to say that there aren't good aftermarket products out there, but tread lightly, do your research and make the decision that's best for you and the family you intend to fly in it.

Experimental

Probably the only mod I consider required is the machined main gear axle extender. Lots of the other mods are nice to have, but I don't consider them required. The Matco nose wheel mods are nice, the center door latch is nice, etc, but I don't consider them safety of flight issues as some do.

I agree!

Aren't you glad you have an "experimental" category airplane?
You actually get to build the airplane however you want, whether anyone considers a mod "mandatory or required".

Here are my modifications and I consider none of them mandatory.
-Overhead console and rear NACA inlets, ducting fresh air into the console.
-Electric shut off valve for rear inlet air.
-McMaster Door seals (very nice)
-Rudder trim
-Parking brake
-Oil cooler air butterfly shut off valve
-Windshield defrost fans/avionics cooling fans
-Baggage door strut
-Step inserts and access to remove step
-Stainless steel heater boxes
-Door pin aluminum blocks
-Hidden oil door hinge and flush latch mechanism.
Probably a couple more I can't think of but I have yet to find a issue with my RV-10 that would make me reconsider some of the modifications.

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider a heated pitot a mod, though. Given the general mission profile if the -10, I would consider it mandatory...

Nuts - if the plane is day VFR. Otherwise, sure.

My Cessna 180 has one and in the 31 years I've been flying it, it just doesn't get used. Save a pound and a circuit for something else.

Dave

Encyclopedic list, Todd!

So without getting into whether one should or shouldn’t add a particular mod (as I have already commented on that aspect) here's a list off the top of my head:

Windshield/windows
Camlocs for cowl in lieu of stock hinges
Overhead console (OHC)
Aluminum eyeball air vents
Center door latch
Additional rear NACA vent(s) to supply air to OHC
Front seatbelt hanger
Inertial reel seatbelts
Upgraded seatbelts (Crow, Hooker, etc)
External power receptacle
Belly Cargo pod
MATCO Front axel
MATCO NW511.25 nose wheel
5052 rigid fuel lines
TEFLON Brake and fuel lines
Parking Brake
Tunnel side access panel
Main gear axel extension
Main gear fairing bracket
Aluminum windshield fairing
Nutplates/screws for fairing attachment vs blind rivets
Door seals on frame vs on stock location (on the door)
Front seat rail mod
Rudder trim
Static vents
Oil cooler air butterfly shutoff valve
Upgraded fuel selector valve
Alt static air
Alt fuel vent
Windshield defrost vents with fans
Baggage tiedowns
Baggage door strut/stop
Instrument panel
Door handles/locks (exterior & interior)
Door lift struts
Gear intersection fairings
Door pin blocks
Click-Bond nutplates vs riveted nutplates on fairings
Torx head #6 & #8 screws vs Philips (primarily for fairings)
Beringer wheels and brakes
Rudder Strobe/Nav light mounting ring
Engine Plenum vs baffling
Engine Cowl (Sam James vs Stock)
SS heat boxes vs stock aluminum
Step insert
Fuel vents
Rudder pedal extensions
Brake pedal long bolt mod
Brake return spring on master cylinders
Fuel caps
Oil door hinges and latches

Not bad for "off the top of the head!" I printed it off for future reference, in fact.

One pair of additions I think I'd make: stainless steel foil over Fibrefrax on both firewall and forward/center belly skin.

I'm not there yet, but definitely going to do this to my 10 in honor of Dan Horton's great work.

Stainless steel electric fire wall pass throughs
Pass throughs for cables (don't forget to add one for a fuel purge valve)
Fuel return line to tank or tee in the fuel line

..doesn't mean you should. Take it from me, besides the cost, modifications add time, lots of time, to your build, and may not live up to your expectations as "improvements." That's not to say that there aren't good aftermarket products out there, but tread lightly, do your research and make the decision that's best for you and the family you intend to fly in it.

exactly what he said. +++

- Attach the front airdams (cylinders 1 & 2) with screws vs rivets for easy trimming when you first fly.

- Avionics shelf at rear battery location

- Install easy access door for batteries at rear baggage bulkhead\panel

- Sun visors

Although I'm not anywhere near "done", I have done, or doing, many mods, most of the one's listed here. I would highlight the Matco brakes, Plane Around mods (I did all of his -10 mods, including the door hinges) and Control Approach pedals.

One thing I don't see mentioned is the Showplanes composite tailcone. It may not fit budgets for many folks, but compared to the total cost, it's a minor add at this point. And it looks cool. And lets you put all of your top antennas inside. And surely adds 10kts of bragging points. ;)

Back