What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spins

RFSchaller

Well Known Member
Just a question. What is the basis of the prohibition on spins for the RV-12? Was there something in the spin characteristics, or was it based on limiting liability?

I used to demonstrate spins to my students when I had a Cessba 150, and I always thought it was a big confidence builder for them. Too bad it's not a option in the RV-12.

Rich

I assume it is a risk management thing. Since the -12 is non-aerobatic, the chances of ending up in a fully developed spin are minimal. It probably has nothing to do with any adverse handling.

It is one of these cases of "practice bleeding" - there is more risk associated with training for an eventuality than that eventuality actually occurring.

I seem to recall some Van spin videos on YouTube early in the RV12s life.
But I don't recall the outcome.

If Vans is offering it as a primary trainer in the S-LSA version, you would think it would have acceptable spin characteristics.

George

Spin characteristics were

quite acceptable according to Van's Youtube videos. But permitting spins were required a utility category classification for the S-LSA's and I don't know whether that could be done or not. Also, do spins still require wearing parachutes? If so, how would you get out of the airplane with its tip-up canopy. I can verify that the canopy opens in flight, but only about 8 inches or so! I don't think getting out is a possibility.

Wayne 120241/143WM

quite acceptable according to Van's Youtube videos. But permitting spins were required a utility category classification for the S-LSA's and I don't know whether that could be done or not. Also, do spins still require wearing parachutes? If so, how would you get out of the airplane with its tip-up canopy. I can verify that the canopy opens in flight, but only about 8 inches or so! I don't think getting out is a possibility.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Parachutes are required for intentional spins, except:
1. when flying solo, or
2. receiving instruction from a cfi.

Wayne 120241/143WM

In a spin the airplane is stalled so the canopy might open quite a bit more. That doesn't mean you will get out though. You would want to be able to jettison it. Or go rent a 150?

The 12 seems to have a tendency to break right or left as opposed to straight ahead even when the ball is centered. It's easily controlled by the rudder, but it would be nice to let it develop into a spin for instruction purposes.

With regard to the argument of having to meet utility category, it is my understanding that nothing in the regulatory description of an LSA prohibits aerobatic maneuvers.

Back