What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Matco brakes

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the part # to order brake linings handy ? Also, what is the best brake pad rivet tool to use? Would like to order w/out going to a cold hangar and looking up part #'s. the forum is so much quicker.

I use the standard brake rivet press available from any aviation tool supplier. I bought mine years ago from ATS and was cheap. Use it in a vice and don't get in a hurry or you will have cracked linings. Squeeze the rivet until the lining is no longer loose and you are done. I was also told you could buy sets to do this with your squeezer.

Check out the Swiftline service...

Does anyone have the part # to order brake linings handy ? Also, what is the best brake pad rivet tool to use? Would like to order w/out going to a cold hangar and looking up part #'s. the forum is so much quicker.

Give Matco a call. I have a Swiftline Account (I am hard on brakes :eek:) and if you open an account you then buy a set of relined brakes for about $70, then you send them the old cores and they will rivet new linings on for a discounted price and return them to you. From then on you always have a set of new brakes on hand ready to use for a reduced price and postage.

The correct link is in Oren's post 2 above.

No need to buy the riveting tool, and the work is done right, at the factory.

Tony

Last edited:
Lining & Rivets

FYI: the RV12 brake linings (M66-106) require the long rivets. 12 rivets and 4 linings for a complete brake relining.

George

I have a Swiftline Account (I am hard on brakes :eek:) and if you open an account you then buy a set of relined brakes for about $70, then you send them the old cores and they will rivet new linings on for a discounted price and return them to you. From then on you always have a set of new brakes on hand ready to use for a reduced price and postage.
Tony

Ditto - its the way to go and you avoid buying the brake tool!

Long and short rivets

The brake pad sets I got from Matco have both long and short rivets. Inspect your pads closely before riveting them-- it's easy to use a long rivet where a short one should go. Apparently Matco expects this-- they give you extra ones of each size. It's easy once you do it and a LOT cheaper.

Wayne 120241 143WM STILL waiting on prop blades.

The tool is $36.50 at Spruce. Pays for itself the first time you use it.

It pays for itself the first time you use it but never again. If you buy the first Swiftline reline for about $78, that gets you another set of brakes with backing plates. Then when you send the old backing plates back in with worn out linings they reline them for about $30, the same price as just a lining kit that you have to rivet together. So, by buying the riveting tool you do save on the first reline but from then on you will be riveting on the brakes pads yourself on your one set of backing plates.

With the Swiftline service you always have a fresh set of brakes on the shelf ready to go.

If you like the tool and riveting on the pads, then the tool is probably the way to go, but there is not much money saved.

With the Swiftline service you always have a fresh set of brakes on the shelf ready to go.

If you like the tool and riveting on the pads, then the tool is probably the way to go, but there is not much money saved.
It does sound quite reasonable - I'll give it a try. I always forget how to use the doggone rivet tool anyway.

Back