What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introduction of New-Style Carb Floats

It appears that they shortened the length of the brass guide sleeve thus lightening the overall assembly which would make it more buoyant. What's another $200? :mad:
-
sc7ssh.png

It's not the first time Bing has changed the floats. Nonetheless, glad they stay on top of things.

New Engine

My brand new engine arrived from Van's a week ago. I will have to check to see if new floats were included, but I am going to assume that I have previous style. Looks like I'll be getting new-style floats while engine is still on bench. Is there going to be a market for unused older-style floats? Anyone interested?

NOTE:

I read nothing in this Service Instruction that recommends or requires that all operators change to this new(est) style float.

For those new to the engine..... Rotax regularly issues service instructions that give details about design changes that have occurred.
Example - They issued one when the new style iS cyl heads were adopted for use on the carburated engine. That did not mean that everyone with a carburated engine was supposed to replace there cyl heads.

New Rotax FLoats

A few weeks ago I had a needle stick on one carb. It pumped fuel overboard. Six hours on the motor. Fortunately, I was only taxiing. My motor's serial number is beyond the number affected by the 2015 Rotax Service bulletin. While cleaning the mid-range jet seat I had occasion to check the floats. The up-graded service bullet floats are identified by two small dots on one side of each float. One float had the two dots, the other had no dots.

I called Lockwood Aero and was advised that the some of the new two dot floats are also absorbing fuel and sinking. They had to return hundreds of them and now only stock the allegedly new floats, which are identified with three dots. I just ordered them for both carbs ($45.00 each times four) and received them two weeks ago--They are in fact identified with three dots. I installed same. Everything seems to be running well again. According to Lockwood, any float which weighs more than 2.9 grams is defective.

Addendum to my previous float post

Apparently, the "new Floats" that I just received from Lockwood Aero two weeks ago, identified by three dots, are now not the newest floats as described in the Rotax Service Instruction dated May 15, 2017. I'm not very happy about it. I'm not spending another $200 on another set of "new" floats but will be checking these periodically. I suggest you check yours at least annually. Sorry for the previous bum information.

I'm confused.
I just got two pair from CPS and they do not have any dots and best I can tell have no brass inserts. In fact, each float in the pair of floats look to be different runs. Letters look different and the dates are differing. I'm not a trusting person and I tend to think CPS is sending me old stock ? One new and one old ?
Edit: Looking at them again, the hole does have a raised area/different color about 3/16" down. It is not brass color. It does look a little different color than black. I thought maybe it was lubricant/grease but no it's dry.

Last edited:
Engine SNs?

Is there a list of engines by serial numbers of engines that have the newest floats? Anyone know? Vans?

It would be good to know if my still unstarted 912 has the old or new ones.

Thanks.

Back