What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uncomfortable Seats

I love my RV12 SLSA but the seats get uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. I've tried various cushions without much luck--are higher quality seats available from an aftermarket source?

I've read posts referring to Abbey--Is she at the Oregon Aero I see advertised at the website. I'd like to hear what specific seats people may have ordered and how happy they are with them.

Last edited:
Flightline

If the seats in the SLSA are constructed by the same group as the seats ordered in any of Vans RV12 kits they can add temper foam at an additional cost of course. I had this option when my seats were being constructed and Abby did a great job with my request of the better foam to sit on. I have always been satisfied with the comfort level understanding what it is and the reality of the expectations.

I would check with Abby at Flightline.

I sat in my FlightLine Interior seats for 4 hours straight a couple weeks ago just after completing phase 1 (5 hours total that day). The seats are very comfortable with the memory foam option.

I have the Oregon Aero foam seats for my RV-9A. I bought the seats from Aircraft Spruce, then sent them to Abby for covering. Extremely happy with her work and service. The seats are super comfortable and I've never had any issues after many long flights. In fact, when I land, I'm usually too comfortable to get out of the airplane! :D

In the 12 I needed to be closer to the rudder pedals and brakes. I added a hinge half about 2 1/2 inches forward of the original two. It did two things, I could reach the pedals just fine (I have short legs and a pot gut) but most of all my sitting position is now totally comfortable!

I also have tempur foam. The seating position is very uncomfortable without the small lower spacer installed. I can only stand about 15 minutes without it. With the spacer installed, I am very comfortable though my noggin is close to the canopy. 5' 11" 150#

Larry, can you tell me how the spacer works, does it go under my seat or behind my back I am not currently using it.

I appreciate all the comments, thank you.

The spacers I have are the width of the seat bottom and about half of the length. They velcro to the bottom side of the seat. I do not recall if I paid extra for them or they came with the package. I purchased a complete interior. I can get a jpeg tomorrow while at the hangar, if you like.

Larry, can you tell me how the spacer works, does it go under my seat or behind my back I am not currently using it.

I appreciate all the comments, thank you.

The wedge goes under the seat. Without it your behind will be like it's down in a hole. I am over 6 feet tall and have taken many long fligts quite comfortably.

I had this problem too. It was me, not the seat brand.

I love my RV12 SLSA but the seats get uncomfortable after 30 minutes or so. I've tried various cushions without much luck--are higher quality seats available from an aftermarket source?

I've read posts referring to Abbey--Is she at the Oregon Aero I see advertised at the website. I'd like to hear what specific seats people may have ordered and how happy they are with them.

Ted, you might try to define what exactly causes the pain. I ordered Oregon Aero seats after sitting in them a few minutes at OSH as they seemed to be the best for me. I get lower back pain in any car seat after about an hour - bad for those 10-12 hr driving days. My tolerance has become less with age. I researched and made an wood buck simulating the angles and distances of the airplane for the plane cushions/floor height. I would sit in them the evening for 2 hours as a test. After trying a dozen different adjustments (6 weeks of testing) using styrofoam blocks, wedges etc, I worked with OA to define the issue and modify the seats. They were knowledgable and easy to work with. The test on return was excellent. Abby covered the seats and has them waiting for good flying weather to pick them up.

So, you might consider if it is the seat or you. Seat designs are made for the masses. It is impractical to test many seats in the manner I did, so you might try to define just what aspect of the seat needs modification, so the seat experts can make an appropriate modification for you.

Another option is to replace the stock foam with memory foam, available through a few vendors. The foam comes in three densities denoted by color; pink, blue , and green. I use these, about $25 per piece, and also added a second layer for lumbar support. They are easy to install, and the original seat is a quality product, worth keeping.

Thanks, I understand now, I'll attach one under my seat and see if it helps, I'm just 5'8" so headroom won't be an issue. The "down in a hole" issue may be why I get low back pain.

In hot weather (I live in Phoenix) I find putting a terry cloth Beach towel over the seat and back helps a lot. I looked for a sheep skin cover, but from the prices I think I would have been sheared worse than the sheep!😁

An Alternative

I have 3 ruptured discs in my lower back and always need lumbar support. I had the stock seats in my 1st 12 and did not like them either. On my 2nd 12 one big change that I knew had to be made were the seats. I spoke with the lovely and gracious Abby and wound up collaborating with her on my new seats. I sketched them out and then made a working drawing which she entered the data from to her autocad. Through a bit of back and forth, I had a fantastic set of seats. They are extremely comfortable and durable, made from rich Corinthian leather, suitable for a Chrysler C?rdoba. I call them the Ricardo Montalbon Edition. She has made several sets. My bud Jeff Vaughn called and told her he wanted the Dave Farmer specials. The Governor of Maine also has a set. Maybe the governor will have one of his it people post a picture. Yes, I can repair airplanes and design seats, but please don't ask me to post a picture on this site!

Dave Seats

I have 3 ruptured discs in my lower back and always need lumbar support. I had the stock seats in my 1st 12 and did not like them either. On my 2nd 12 one big change that I knew had to be made were the seats. I spoke with the lovely and gracious Abby and wound up collaborating with her on my new seats. I sketched them out and then made a working drawing which she entered the data from to her autocad. Through a bit of back and forth, I had a fantastic set of seats. They are extremely comfortable and durable, made from rich Corinthian leather, suitable for a Chrysler Córdoba. I call them the Ricardo Montalbon Edition. She has made several sets. My bud Jeff Vaughn called and told her he wanted the Dave Farmer specials. The Governor of Maine also has a set. Maybe the governor will have one of his it people post a picture. Yes, I can repair airplanes and design seats, but please don't ask me to post a picture on this site!
Picture of Dave12's seats

Seat works better

Thanks so much for explaining how that underseat wedge works. I have been using one on my daughter's side from the start to boost her higher, now I know it makes a dramatic difference in the comfort of my own seat. :)

Back