What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Visualization vs Reality Trailering an RV12

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I guess since nobody wants to fly for free, I will go trailer my RV12 home. I have hauled one on my trailer several times, but the wings separately. I was trying to visualize the wings stacked on the floor UNDER the airplane. Has anyone done that before? Will they fit or do you need to raise the mains a bit to make them fit?

I guess since nobody wants to fly for free, I will go trailer my RV12 home. I have hauled one on my trailer several times, but the wings separately. I was trying to visualize the wings stacked on the floor UNDER the airplane. Has anyone done that before? Will they fit or do you need to raise the mains a bit to make them fit?

Sorry you couldn't get anyone to help. Next time get stranded closer to Daytona Beach, I'll help ... :D

That's how I got mine from home (where I built it) to the airport but I only had to travel about 25 miles. I think you'd be OK but you'd probably want to secure things more than I had to for a short trip.

I don't have any real good pictures but these show a bit of how it worked.

52n9Nkd7S5SUcvPdp-tPxCZhRpU6wYjK6KFR2jLVn5FY6GFv3d6EI68wD1PV1MzYSlhcAQTQg10EksAv7td1jDmqbQjlyGAI91qlNroFMFhhnkyk7V3nVAqIkD2Vz09yCKNch_8fN19Q3PySDCYmzv9pKsyocmhoaN9vVtN5KUsYHnoqS_nsGtXtSMzcYOVBArvpwUWrrBofQd4mx-MbC6BTjoICbaqBSjtEBWAqbDfmfvuWSu7TXxSFNeiRs23vTvDdYdicgh3eNeAZAuNuYVO1Vabp6JiEZLqnbkzOAzaJScGogE4RdLHuDhjNupPc7CWNgx5U_MP9MiV2qPg_cinTBg0xvX7w55oKR52bOuSzMeWrv_b0su6twIXyPC5gH0DWvvWligwzu5EHH9OOf9c_OOOZhsDLMEnWh6UndEHW5Ko6wheSnMPcnoA1E9psfjhpzB5ik_tmodFobv6Gg35P7xOobDUEZBWMK1u9vlQJlG2E8gBsy6GhL6gV76EEZbC4GBpB4qCRWh_Yd24lr0mKDmfuA7T3LecTN1sBk-_w0k56vJIuz0zzR-t3qJk6YfWn-2OkpuI3Z03X6DLXqYGgxIPp12ooxAtujXG199jJjY7oVV96XXy9qbf7LuWqvqlXbMkskvYONCpzyeOOycqdWUiE97qtagL3Fww=w800-no

dGcBJZiyVaGmiV0kGzE4I8Gbpw-sXdzTKbFkKDrSgUzsk0sVDLos2uukM3Z3ztq2rmAJD0Wem0XktlYqa18qbyKMTDYhpF4LJYnsex492myu70HQu8x5ouFBCXVgvkJBEzqxkGIXtwWK1nJWIjV4fMllj4JUlGCEtAGBp-r0bmJ8vcazS6Qh-MWUynfEl4ioYY9wr7_I6lLxqusKZVBVmzE-n8_SJu1RmUlMuSPa3jDTjUl3PP3g0blOzG0GcuMyLMQv3DQ2Ax9WIhTie7d6j_ZSOE1Ze49JX7x-GDjm1hJx0CYXB5iKfqj_kBAFEqwWZH5TL8SGAkO-E_lWlajHc4McKIse4_VsWSPcK8HWgkXr5McOsWcp4rgUX7qMmrnG_k-kPH8Eb3fZ84Dyo2X4Cgc80PJ27TxZrGyzOhn88P7ZfhW_sI3zPeEPBqtQuSYE6bjuqUY_laadOuxeZOw3pZ9wpQ4jfc03bsdHJGHw-y8ASzifFC-u7vsnBn_XN6thikwnhlBGb2ptEzFTaQElbbSc6gbXsgteKYl6k44AoL9eXegMQHUsqoIUdueoMNqvXSDrv7DIEQQnK0Oqk5PGla9vFF5ow2R19ui1nzj7oRINo0BreNOhP1koPK6UV0q2GwDm208GBau1JoCK5rEUSKrQgPI7PYCu7kXAZbY=w800-no

Last edited:
Wow, just what I needed, thanks a lot. I cannot see clearly,
but did you have to put blocks under the mains in order for them to fit?Anybody else with even more detailed photos would be appreciated..

Sorry you couldn't get anyone to help. Next time get stranded closer to Daytona Beach, I'll help ... :D

That's how I got mine from home (where I built it) to the airport but I only had to travel about 25 miles. I think you'd be OK but you'd probably want to secure things more than I had to for a short trip.

I don't have any real good pictures but these show a bit of how it worked.

Wow, just what I needed, thanks a lot. I cannot see clearly,
but did you have to put blocks under the mains in order for them to fit?Anybody else with even more detailed photos would be appreciated..

Nope, no blocks necessary other than wheel chocks that I screwed to the floor of the truck. The wings fit nicely under the fuse and even cleared the comm antenna. Worked out pretty well.

Notice that I did not have the tail mounted, though. The friends helping me took those in their pickup. I used the 26' (?) Penske truck and had plenty of room, even considering that I was also carrying one of my workbenches along with my -12. I don't think there'd be a problem space-wise. Securing everything so nothing vibrates against anything else will be the challenge. You'll need plenty of moving pads, tie-down straps and ropes.

Yep, the missing piece is a flight review. I got 17.5 hrs in a Rotax powered 12 and 50 landings, but no flight review. Without that the insurance is void, and I did not want to take that risk. That is in fact the whole reason for buying this one, to finish out transition and get a flight review. None within hundreds of miles, so buying one to train in seemed to be the only answer short of parting out Air Force One.
I am looking at the possibility of removing the right wing from one, and the left from the other and joining the fuselages together to make a four place;):D

OTE=Planecrazy232;1175483]I may be missing a piece of the puzzle, but why not get someone to drive you there and you fly it back??[/QUOTE]

No problem

I was trying to visualize the wings stacked on the floor UNDER the airplane. Has anyone done that before? Will they fit or do you need to raise the mains a bit to make them fit?

My plane coming back from paint - with padding overlapped but side by side underneath

IMG_0771.PNG

I help haul Marks's aka - skunkworks RV12 on a different trailer. The wings were stacked on top of each other
IMG_0773.PNG

IMG_0772.PNG

Yep, the missing piece is a flight review. I got 17.5 hrs in a Rotax powered 12 and 50 landings, but no flight review. Without that the insurance is void, and I did not want to take that risk. That is in fact the whole reason for buying this one, to finish out transition and get a flight review. None within hundreds of miles, so buying one to train in seemed to be the only answer short of parting out Air Force One.
I am looking at the possibility of removing the right wing from one, and the left from the other and joining the fuselages together to make a four place;):D

OTE=Planecrazy232;1175483]I may be missing a piece of the puzzle, but why not get someone to drive you there and you fly it back??
[/QUOTE]

Don, if I were closer I'd help in a heartbeat. Putting an airplane on a trailer is like putting a trailer on a boat. It just doesn't seem right. :confused:

I agree, especially when the aircraft is perfectly capable of flying most anywhere on its own. I almost want to do it at night or when nobody is looking.

Don, if I were closer I'd help in a heartbeat. Putting an airplane on a trailer is like putting a trailer on a boat. It just doesn't seem right. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Back