What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6 prop ??

N661DJ

Well Known Member
I have an RV-6, 0-360 A1A, 180 HP. equipped with a Sensenich (72 FM859-1-83)
It appears that this is a climb prop. as the airplane climbs really well. The top speed however is a little lacking. My question, is this the recommended prop for this airplane?, would an 84" or 85" pitch be better and has anyone had any experience having this model prop "Twisted" or re-pitched??
Dick

What is your static RPM? Typical is 2200-2300, depending on pitch for cruise or climb and prop/engine setup. My 3 blade Catto, for example, is around 2200 RPM static. On take-off, I look for 2250 while rolling down the runway. I can just get to 2700 RPM at WOT. I did a run yesterday after tweaking the configuration of my P-Mag with my computer and EICAD program. At 5700 feet, WOT and 2700 RPM I achieved 168 KTAS.

I need more HP and aerodynamic cleanup but happy with the prop. Also, gear fairings and wheel pants make a huge difference in top speed.

Last edited:
Sensenich rates the -83 pitch prop as a "standard" for a 180 HP RV-6(A) and the -85 as a "climb" prop

http://www.sensenich.com/files/docu...luminum_Propeller_Applications_1349891787.pdf

Vans now shows the -85 as a standard prop on their web site

https://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...9681476-422-207&browse=props&product=sen-prop.

Like you, I have a -83 pitch Sensenich prop and even at our higher DA's I'm finding it to be much more of a climb prop than a standard prop.

This is from my flight test notes -

12500 ft ( 14600 DA ) 2710 rpm – 12.9 gph – 168 kts TAS ( 193 mph ) – FULL THROTTLE – 58% pwr

A lot of references seem to like full throttle to equal 2700 rpm at a cruise altitude of 8000 ft. The prop on my Tiger is set up this way by the POH.

It may be that later -6 planes are a bit more aerodynamic than earlier ones due to improvements in gear fairing design.

Static rpm is specific to prop design and is 2050 to 2250 as defined by Sensenich in the above link.

Last edited:
I have an RV-6, 0-360 A1A, 180 HP. equipped with a Sensenich (72 FM859-1-83)
It appears that this is a climb prop. as the airplane climbs really well. The top speed however is a little lacking. My question, is this the recommended prop for this airplane?, would an 84" or 85" pitch be better and has anyone had any experience having this model prop "Twisted" or re-pitched??
Dick

I had the Sensenich metal prop on my O-320 RV-6 repitched by a local prop shop (went from 77" to ~80"). However, I suggest you return the prop to Sensenich for repitching because their equipment is better than what will be found in a smaller shop.

I fly a buddy's RV6 with a 180hp motor. It has a Prince P Tip prop and I must admit, I am a huge fan.

I have an RV7 with 180hp and MT 3 blade c/s prop which is a very good performer but his 6 is faster in cruise !

His gets out of 1200' strips no problem. When I did the pre buy on it, I was sceptical but can honestly say I am impressed.

Back