VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Come on guys. Even a busy guy like Francis Ford Coppola at age 75 says one of his favorite things to do is polish his TBM-850.

http://www.bjtonline.com/business-je...s-ford-coppola

Just kidding! Still, it was a special request to get it this way.
#40533 RV-10
1/2006 Started build
10/19/2011 First flight
11/26/2011 Phase 1 Done
12/25/2013 First coast to coaster HAF to K88 to JYO
Old 03-24-2016, 08:33 AM

OK so who wants to sell me their cyclo cheap?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM

Don't give up yet Chad. It looks awesome so far!
RV-10 Building - Fuselage
www.DarinAnderson.com
2018 donation sent!
Old 03-24-2016, 11:09 AM

Default DA

I use a DA sander with foam pad instead of cyclo. I also use cotton diapers for the last steps. I compound with wool (F7, C) then DA with cotton (C ans S). I launder both the wool and diapers at home. I'll wipe out the tub and wash them twice. After a couple of loads of regular laundry I can't tell that its ever been used for cleaning Nuvite. I have been practicing on the spinners at work. Some of them get pitted up pretty bad. Using cornstarch to get the last of the residue out of the pits helps a lot. I'm settling into whats perfect enough. Compounding by far takes the longest. Once that is done the first time, most of the rest is maintenance.
I am planning on painting bottom surfaces, and forward flying surface tops.
Side note...
I friend of mine paints his bush airplanes blue on top, white on bottom. If he goes "in" in the summer, he will flip upside down. White shows on green. In the winter he is in skis and expects to remain upright. Blue shows and seams to help with frost. He also paints half inch stripes on his prop and carries a hack saw....
Wings arrived 12 JAN 13
https://plus.google.com/photos/11360...J-TuJPsmOONzQE
Old 03-24-2016, 11:56 AM

Default I finally threw in the towel (fleece?)

I polished for about a year and a half ... Learned that even with power equipment it was way more work than I had figured. To keep it looking the way I wanted it, it was a spring and fall effort, though as time went on the "touch up" process got a teeny bit easier. When I got estimates from a painter I was still undecided on paint vs polish; I got quotes on both. To my initial amazement the paint/polish combo schem was only 9% less cost than a full, "no maintenance" paint job in four colors. That cinched the decision, since saving only 9% on the cost sentenced me to polishing the bird forever.
Why only 9% difference? I requested that the entire bottom side be painted bright silver to preclude the staining and corrosion so frequent there, and painting the cowl, fwd fuse, wheel pants, and gear fairings was the same amount of work either way. The masking necessary for either scheme was virtually the same.
I still LOVE the looks of a polished airplane, but simply was not willing to expend the time, energy, and sweat to keep it looking really nice, and up to my standard.
Oh yeah .... I'm REALLY happy with my painted bird .... No regrets at all.
(Dues paid thru Nov '18)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Once you get a good shine switch to Kalifornia purple polish. It is as easy as waxing your plane. Rub it in lightly with your hand and cloth till it turns black, wait till it drys then buff off by hand with clean cloth. They even have a deoxidizer that works the same way. No heavy machine buffing needed. Talk to roger and say turbo told you to call. I will get rich by feeling good that you are now enjoying a polished product without suffering.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 03-28-2016, 06:25 AM

i thought i would post a few pics of the polish on the helicycle blades. they were done about a year ago and looked quite dull. just like waxing you just apply with light pressure, let dry a wipe off. enjoy your shine.

as the label says, caution: results may be addictive!
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
RV HOTEL LOCATION oct thru may.
Pain Free by Pete Egoscue= your answer to all your aches and pains. 'suffering is optional"
addicted pickle ball player
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM

Default Flitz

Anyone ever try Flitz? I've seen them at OSH a couple of times and the stuff seems to work really well but I've never used it or heard of anyone else using it.
Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCP Boys View Post
Anyone ever try Flitz? I've seen them at OSH a couple of times and the stuff seems to work really well but I've never used it or heard of anyone else using it.
I've used Flitz on aging paint. The result was pretty easy to summarize... WOW! It's now about 8 years after that original buff job with Flitz and the paint still looks pretty good - maybe this summer she'll get another application of Flitz.

Yes, it takes some elbow grease, like anything that's removing a nasty old oxidized surface. The results are well worth the effort. VERY little Flitz compound is required to get the job done.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:08 PM

I took Turbos advice and decided to try out the purple metal polish. And oh my am I glad I did. My polished bird had been more and more grunchy and I just didn't have the heart to pull out the heavy, oddly shaped cyclo polisher to redo with Nuvite. After watching the video on the companies website it looked easy enough and without heavy machinery.

The grime and spots were affixed well to the skin. Meaning, I was unable to clean anymore with just a rag and my spray bottle of water/alcohol/soap. Sure I could have started up with nuvite again, but I just didn't have it in me.

Purple Metal Polish was super easy (I used their oxidizer too)... thanks for recommendation turbo.

RV 7 N612RA
E-170/175