What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antenna location for Stratus 3 ADS-B receiver

scsmith

Well Known Member
I'm curious where people have put the ADS-B antenna in their RV for a Stratus 3 or other ADS-B in?

It is supposed to have visibility to the ground to receive signal from towers. It is a short little "rubber duck" antenna on an elbow fitting to the cable. The Stratus comes with a suction cup to put it on a window of a cabin-type airplane like a Cessna.

I mount the Stratus 3 onto the canopy at around shoulder height on my left. I then run the antenna up high on the canopy bow. Seems to work ok

Scout

Before I installed EchoUAT, I used a little ForeFlight Scout , suction cupped the all in one unit just above panel in upper corner. Worked really well. I say all this as I don?t think it matters that much where it goes, it will work fine as long as you don?t intentionally hide it.

I have a Stratux velcro'd to the right side fuse just beside the front seat. Both antennas are attached to the Stratus box and they both are right above the side of the fuse. That location doesn't bother the canopy or anyone getting into either seat plus have unlimited view outside toward any plane or tower. From there I wrapped the GPS antenna up the front seat mount to the top so it sits right behind the front seat on top of the frame.

Back