What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Improvised Oil Funnel

I don't know if this has ever been mention before but I was in need of a funnel to put some oil in my Lycoming 390. The only thing I had was a 20oz plastic coke bottle. So I cut the bottle about in half and realized the threads on the bottle match perfectly with the threads on the dip stick tube. So I screwed it in nice and tight and had a great funnel that didn't run the risk of tipping or leaking. I now use it as my primary funnel. An added benefit is you can screw the coke bottle cap back on and the residual oil won't drip out.

But there's that BIG open end..................

:eek:

Just use an empty oil bottle as a funnel?

I keep an empty oil bottle in the plane. When I need a funnel, I cut the bottom of the bottle and pour in a new quart. Then I dispose of the "funnel" and keep the now empty bottle as my next funnel. As long as I keep the lid on the bottle, it doesn't matter if a little remains in the bottle.

I also carry one of the extensions that comes in every case of Phillips XC which makes my "funnel" a little longer. An oil bottle cap in each end keeps it from leaking.

It's worked for me!

+1 on Paul's approach -- learned to use the bottom of an oil bottle as the funnel shortly after they stopped selling it in cans...
oops, did I just say how old i are?

+1 on Paul's approach -- learned to use the bottom of an oil bottle as the funnel shortly after they stopped selling it in cans...

I remember oil in quart paper cans. Spiral wound paper with metal top / bottom lids. Still have a couple and they're leaking badly...

Hey, you don't have to be old...Turbine oil still comes in cans for some reason! I had to go searching far and wide for an opener when I started using it....

Back