What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Filter Install?

RVee6

Patron
I'm building an RV8 and I'm installing the fuel lines in the fuselage. I bought an Andair FX375-MK filter from Van's, which is the only one listed in the store. Looking at the plans, I see a different filter depicted in the drawing (ES Airflow filter) and it has different connections from the Andair, which has plastic fittings. The ES filter shows two flare fittings and the Andair has one flared fitting and one straight fitting. What do I need and how do I connect the fuel lines to the Andair filter? Also, do I really need this filter if I use a gascolator?
Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie---uh, the filter body and fittings are aluminum, one is Male -6 AN, the other is Male 1/4 NPT, originally used to screw into the Andair pump.
So, in the lnlet side, plumb is as you normally with female AN hardware. On the outlet---assuming you are using rigid tubing, you can use a AN910-2D and a AN816-6D, to convert to Male AN.

YES there are conversion adapters that do the same thing from aftermarket suppliers.

Tom

Thanks Tom,
At first glance I thought the ends of the filter were plastic since they were black. After your reply, I looked at them again and realized that they are metal. I will order the parts. I looked on Aircraft Spruce's website and found a part "PHENIX FITTING C46-4", would this be a conversion adapter that would work?
Charlie

Last edited:
I'm building an RV8 and I'm installing the fuel lines in the fuselage. I bought an Andair FX375-MK filter from Van's, which is the only one listed in the store. Looking at the plans, I see a different filter depicted in the drawing (ES Airflow filter) and it has different connections from the Andair, which has plastic fittings. The ES filter shows two flare fittings and the Andair has one flared fitting and one straight fitting. What do I need and how do I connect the fuel lines to the Andair filter? Also, do I really need this filter if I use a gascolator?
Thanks,
Charlie

I have a gascolator on the inlet to the fuel pump (protects the pump from fuel tank debris) and a 20 micron filter after the fuel pump (Protects the injector servo from debris in the event of a fuel pump disintegration). Finally there is the screen in the servo. I needed a gascolator for Canadian requirements.

And yes, it is a pain to clean them all.

V

It does sound like a lot of work to clean, but I'm sure you get very clean fuel!
Thanks,
Charlie

No Charlie---thats a male/female AN swivel. you want a female NPT (pipe thread) to -6 Male AN----Something like a Aeroquip FBM2725 from Summit.
Or if you need AN quality--then the numbers I posted earlier from Spruce.
Tom

Back