What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Confused trying to find Lycoming manuals

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello, I am deeply confused on why it is so difficult to find maintenance manuals for my IO-360-M1B. The engine didn't come with manuals (which is mega annoying considering the cost of it). Can someone who has been around the block a time or two tell me what I should/ shouldn't expect to find here. Do I simply go off of a similar model?

I am mainly trying to find torque specs. I have found an operators manual here but that doesn't have torque specs. Thanks

Lycoming doesn't make a maintenance manual for your engine. They published the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual which includes your engine. There's also SSP 1776 that has the metrics and there's also a parts catalog. Lycoming does publish an owner's manual for your engine. But, truth be told - you should really know what you're doing when you go into your engine - or have someone there to guide you. There's nothing worse than killing your family, friend's son or people on the ground because you really didn't know what you were doing when you tore into your engine like it was for your lawn mower. Then there's AD, SB, MSBs for your engine then there's manuals for your accessories just as complex as your engine. Some you have to pay for, some you can find for free. You just have to search. Oh, yea - they publish updates for everything too so you have to be careful as to what version you get. Also there's AC 43.13-1b and the whole AC series. You can also search 14 CFR for stuff that covers your engine too like how to do a compression check, clean plugs, inspect stuff and so forth. Don't worry - some smart engineer with years of experience and education, a PE license, insurance, peer review process, etc etc etc wrote the stuff that's FAA approved or accepted - if it's made there's PMA approval, STC's too - don't forget that stuff.

But truth be told - the aviation industry is filled with people too lazy to read, failed to pay attention to their instructors, barely passed their classes, have no interest in aviation, think they're smarter than they actually are, will tell you "that doesn't matter" when you tell them they're not doing it as the book instructs (because they never read the book), they barely made it out of high school where they took shop and as many P.E.s as they could. They're poor, foolish, have low IQ's, and are just plain lazy. So maybe you're better off doing things yourself.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Also searching...

Jereme,

I am in the same position as you and have also been searching.

The -M1B is the same as the -M1A except that it has a rear prop governor and an impulse magneto. Lycoming has an -M1A Operation and Installation Manual that I found online :

https://www.lycoming.com/content/operator's-manual-(L)IO-360-M1A-60297-36

It does not have installation torques that you were looking for, but it does have basic schematics, specifications and performance curves for the power plant that would be included in a compiled POH.

I am building an RV-7 just a bit behind your progress and I have enjoyed and learned a lot following your build progress here online - thanks for documenting your build and sharing your enthusiasm! I am also following this thread with interest.

- Alex -

I use The Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual. It has a whole section in the back with torque values used through out the engine. Your prop manual should have values with your particular prop model. AC43 has charts for torque values for general AN hardware. Vans manuals also show torque values for common hardware used in the airframe.

Lycoming doesn't make a maintenance manual for your engine. They published the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual which includes your engine. There's also SSP 1776 that has the metrics and there's also a parts catalog. Lycoming does publish an owner's manual for your engine. But, truth be told - you should really know what you're doing when you go into your engine - or have someone there to guide you. There's nothing worse than killing your family, friend's son or people on the ground because you really didn't know what you were doing when you tore into your engine like it was for your lawn mower. Then there's AD, SB, MSBs for your engine then there's manuals for your accessories just as complex as your engine. Some you have to pay for, some you can find for free. You just have to search. Oh, yea - they publish updates for everything too so you have to be careful as to what version you get. Also there's AC 43.13-1b and the whole AC series. You can also search 14 CFR for stuff that covers your engine too like how to do a compression check, clean plugs, inspect stuff and so forth. Don't worry - some smart engineer with years of experience and education, a PE license, insurance, peer review process, etc etc etc wrote the stuff that's FAA approved or accepted - if it's made there's PMA approval, STC's too - don't forget that stuff.

But truth be told - the aviation industry is filled with people too lazy to read, failed to pay attention to their instructors, barely passed their classes, have no interest in aviation, think they're smarter than they actually are, will tell you "that doesn't matter" when you tell them they're not doing it as the book instructs (because they never read the book), they barely made it out of high school where they took shop and as many P.E.s as they could. They're poor, foolish, have low IQ's, and are just plain lazy. So maybe you're better off doing things yourself.

Good Luck

Thanks for all the info. I'm not looking to tear into my engine just trying to put some things on the accessory case. May have to use the German torque method but I like to calibrate my hand first to some degree.

Jereme,

I am in the same position as you and have also been searching.

The -M1B is the same as the -M1A except that it has a rear prop governor and an impulse magneto. Lycoming has an -M1A Operation and Installation Manual that I found online :

https://www.lycoming.com/content/operator's-manual-(L)IO-360-M1A-60297-36

It does not have installation torques that you were looking for, but it does have basic schematics, specifications and performance curves for the power plant that would be included in a compiled POH.

I am building an RV-7 just a bit behind your progress and I have enjoyed and learned a lot following your build progress here online - thanks for documenting your build and sharing your enthusiasm! I am also following this thread with interest.

- Alex -

Thanks Alex, I was looking at that M1A manual just last night. I also found a document for direct drive engine torque but couldn't find the accessory case attachment torques. I'm trying to put my SD-8 backup alternator on today before I hang the engine and found an LIO-360-B1G6 maintanance manual here. On page 227 it shows the process for changing a vacuum pump drive gear and says torque the studs to 96-108 in-lbs.

I also still need to find the values for the governor.

I am glad my build log has helped you out! I really like it when someone gets benefit from me posting all those!

Torque Table

If you can't find the torque for specific hardware, you can follow the chart in AC 43.13.

mozp3h3l.jpg

I use The Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual. It has a whole section in the back with torque values used through out the engine. Your prop manual should have values with your particular prop model. AC43 has charts for torque values for general AN hardware. Vans manuals also show torque values for common hardware used in the airframe.

Thanks Ralph, I may have found a torque at the very end of the manual. I looked at that overhaul manual last night and just couldn't find it. Thanks for directing me to the back of it. I was looking for something too specific. In the back it just lists torques for nut sizes.

If you can't find the torque for specific hardware, you can follow the chart in AC 43.13.

mozp3h3l.jpg

Thanks Ray, I have AC 43.13 on my desk right now. Lycoming calls for a similar torque in everything I can find. That 96 in-lbs is now confirmed in two different Lycoming documents.

Last edited:
Hello, I am deeply confused on why it is so difficult to find maintenance manuals for my IO-360-M1B. The engine didn't come with manuals (which is mega annoying considering the cost of it). Can someone who has been around the block a time or two tell me what I should/ shouldn't expect to find here. Do I simply go off of a similar model?

I am mainly trying to find torque specs. I have found an operators manual here but that doesn't have torque specs. Thanks

Hi Jereme,

Are you looking for the Lycoming Service Table of Limits and Torque Value Recommendations?

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SSP-1776-5%20Table%20of%20Limits%20-%20Complete.pdf

Hi Jereme,

Are you looking for the Lycoming Service Table of Limits and Torque Value Recommendations?

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SSP-1776-5%20Table%20of%20Limits%20-%20Complete.pdf

Yep that was pointed out to me but I'm glad you linked the one you did as it is a bit more current. I was looking for something too specific it would appear. 1/4 lists 96-106 in-lbs (unless otherwise specified) which corresponds to what I have seen in other documents. I installed my vac pad alternator today and was able to torque three out the of the four nuts. No way in heck was it happening on the fourth. Had to resort to the German method on that one.

Vacuum Cover plate Gasket??

Yep that was pointed out to me but I'm glad you linked the one you did as it is a bit more current. I was looking for something too specific it would appear. 1/4 lists 96-106 in-lbs (unless otherwise specified) which corresponds to what I have seen in other documents. I installed my vac pad alternator today and was able to torque three out the of the four nuts. No way in heck was it happening on the fourth. Had to resort to the German method on that one.

Just curious, did the cover plate have a gasket under it? I installed and flew my M1B (from Vans) and had this last oil leak that needed repair (100 hrs). I found my plate did not have a gasket. It was installed, torqued from the factory so I did not remove it. But NO gasket - - yours??

Just curious, did the cover plate have a gasket under it? I installed and flew my M1B (from Vans) and had this last oil leak that needed repair (100 hrs). I found my plate did not have a gasket. It was installed, torqued from the factory so I did not remove it. But NO gasket - - yours??

Yep it had a gasket but while searching I read somewhere else that they did not have a gasket, identical to your situation. I wonder why mine did but a couple others did not...

I can't find the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual on Lycoming's site. I see a few places online that have old (very old in some cases) versions for free, and some places that are charging for copies of unknown date, but nothing at Lycoming.

I have to be missing something here. Does Lycoming call it something different now?

I can't find the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual on Lycoming's site. I see a few places online that have old (very old in some cases) versions for free, and some places that are charging for copies of unknown date, but nothing at Lycoming.

I have to be missing something here. Does Lycoming call it something different now?

I just got sent one from someone who seems pretty dang knowledgeable, possibly used to work there? and it is dated 1974. If you PM me your email I'll send you two docs.

I just got sent one from someone who seems pretty dang knowledgeable, possibly used to work there? and it is dated 1974. If you PM me your email I'll send you two docs.

I was able to find one dated 1974 with updates as new as 2002, but nothing newer. Maybe that's as good as it gets? Here's what I found, consider it hosted at my site:
https://www.brunbergs.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/Lycoming-OH-Manual-2002-ed.pdf

https://www.brunbergs.net/2020/05/30/lycoming-direct-drive-overhaul-manual/

Last edited:
Back