What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin handheld VNAV???

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
Folks,

Which of the portable panel mount Garmin GPS' (296, 396, 496) will run Vertical Navigation???? I have the 296, but would be happy to get rid of it.

I read that the Aera 660 will... I certain assume the 760 will. But again, which of the older models will, if any?

Thoughts?

Aera 660 VNAV

Folks,

Which of the portable panel mount Garmin GPS' (296, 396, 496) will run Vertical Navigation???? I have the 296, but would be happy to get rid of it.

I read that the Aera 660 will... I certain assume the 760 will. But again, which of the older models will, if any?

Thoughts?

Both the Aera 660 and 760 provide VNAV functionality. You can find detailed information beginning on page 47 of the Aera 660 Pilot's Guide.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Fly the VNAV via autopilot?

G3Expert
Is the VNAV functionality of the 760 different from the 796 and actually "flys" the VNAV profile by driving the autopilot? Or does it give the visual guidance only?
Figs

VNAV

G3Expert
Is the VNAV functionality of the 760 different from the 796 and actually "flys" the VNAV profile by driving the autopilot? Or does it give the visual guidance only?
Figs

Similar to the Aera 660, the Aera 760 can drive coupled VNAV descents with a G5 autopilot.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Justin
It seems that my 796 provides the same capability if coupled with a G5. On my Trutrak Gemini you need arinc 429 to provide vertical guidance, am I correct in assuming that a G5 based autopilot system driven by the 796 would also need the GAD 29 along with the pitch and roll servos and A/P control panel?

Is there a configuration/block diagram you can point me to that shows how this would all fit together?
Thanks

Justin
It seems that my 796 provides the same capability if coupled with a G5. On my Trutrak Gemini you need arinc 429 to provide vertical guidance, am I correct in assuming that a G5 based autopilot system driven by the 796 would also need the GAD 29 along with the pitch and roll servos and A/P control panel?

Is there a configuration/block diagram you can point me to that shows how this would all fit together?
Thanks

The Aera 796 can be connected via serial to a G5, to fly coupled VNAV descents. A GAD 29 would not be required, the 796 does not have ARINC 429 I/O. The G5 autopilot would be installed as shown in the G5 Installation Manual, and the Aera 796 would be connected to the G5 through the G5's serial port. See page 7-9 and 7-6 respectively for detailed interconnect drawings.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin
Could I reuse the Trutrak servos with the GMC 305 A/P controller? Configuration would be G5 (A/P and backup EFIS), GMC 305 (A/P control), 796 (flight plan etc.), SL 30 (NavCom).

Looking for affordable way to add vertical guidance.
Thanks

Justin
Could I reuse the Trutrak servos with the GMC 305 A/P controller? Configuration would be G5 (A/P and backup EFIS), GMC 305 (A/P control), 796 (flight plan etc.), SL 30 (NavCom).

Looking for affordable way to add vertical guidance.
Thanks

I would like to know the answer as well:)

Back