What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider canopy frame inset

Mruffatto

My question is in regards to the location of the canopy track. I have my tracks clamped at the maximum outward position I can get them while remaining parallel. If I put them any further out I will have a problem with the aft mounting screw interfering with the longeron. I'm going to the maximum outward position in an attempt to get the 1/16" inset of the side bow. It's not working. My inset from the fuselage side to the side bow is roughly a 1/4" right now. The distance of the inboard vertical sides of the canopy track is 40 1/16". Way different than the plans call for. I did find another thread that said this measurement can vary.

If I end up with a 1/4 inset will I have a problem with my side skirts?
I should also note that the 1/4 measurement puts the roller all the way to the outside of the track. Not centered as the plans call for. I have not even began to compensate for the outward pressure from the canopy going on.

Any suggestions?

sounds narrow.

Mine ended up a scoshe less than parallel.... rollers near outside edge fore and near inside edge aft... fits and rolls like a dream. In this part of the build you just follow your gut.

I read your post last night and have been thinking about it. I have to admit I don't think I understand how you can be 1/4" inset and yet be that far outboard. 1/4" will cause you some issues with the side skirts IMO and also could be an issue where the aft bow of the slider passes the skins as it slides aft.

I am posting a picture of mine so you can look for any differences you might have.

Don't worry about the width of the canopy track. I found the number Van's puts in the plans to be way off from what I got although I don't remember the exact number I had to compare with yours.

Slider%2BTrack.png

I took a pic of the inset. Assuming I'm measuring this correctly. The only way I could get the slides out further is to abandon the aft most mounting hole and put it forward to avoid longeron interference.
My aft bows clear the skin by about an 1/8 on each side. I'm thinking this will need to be closer because the side bow needs to be bent in more in the back to follow the fuselage contour.

Now that I am home I went out and took a few more pictures with measurements for you. I posted them on my blog in a side page with a few comments to explain. My slider is not on right now so I couldn't show you a picture of the inset. Keep in mind that this is a 9A but the fuselages are essentially the same.

http://www.darinanderson.com/p/vaf-pictures.html

Back