What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH and Yellowstone trip, 2014

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
After leaving OSH this year, Laura and I had made plans to fly to Yellowstone National Park for a day or three of sightseeing. Laura had already made lodging arrangements for the trip so with the weather forecast in our favor, we headed off to Livingstone MT.

There are already lots of folks posting OSH photos, so we are starting at Livingstone.

DSC01894.JPG

DSC01897.JPG

The local Dodge dealer also rents cars, and they brought one up to us at the airport. First night was in Gardiner, MT------- called the gateway to Yellowstone for some rather obvious reason.

DSC01901.JPG

As we arrived late in the day, we only took a short drive up to Mammoth Hot Springs before heading back down to our hotel for the evening. While up at Mammoth, we saw this worried mother, and her carefree offspring.

DSC01905.JPG

DSC01909.JPG

The boardwalk out to one side of the hot springs. This place is huge, easily saw it from the air as we were returning home a couple days later. Google it for many fantastic photos and info.

DSC01912.JPG

The next day we drove into the park, stopping at many beautiful places where Laura took way too many photos to put into this thread, but there is an album link at the end of this post.

Here is a few highlights of the trip into the park. Norris Geyser Basin was somewhere you could spend a day or more and still not see all there is to see.

DSC01918.JPG

DSC01919.JPG

DSC01925.JPG

DSC01933.JPG

Full album is here. https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMKaIwb_9Yk7aVVP3kGDljEgLovy9ExKGFlkaKO

Last edited:
As were driving along, we kept a lookout for local critters, such as this wolf.

DSC01989.JPG

Looking carefully you can see a collar with a tracking device on the wolf's neck.

Try as we might, no other big critters were evident on this drive............but we hit the jackpot the next day.

Here is a teaser................................

DSC02197.JPG

We stopped off at many fantastic locations, here is the Grand Prismatic Spring in the Midway Geyser Basin.

DSC02025.JPG

10570508_553541614752107_2586684532036968283_n.jpg

Last stop of the day was Old Faithful--------where we were lucky to have scored a room at the Old Faithful Inn. This place is booked a year or more out, but Laura was able to find a mid week cancellation that she grabbed.

DSC02049.JPG

DSC02051.JPG

DSC02053.JPG

DSC02055.JPG

DSC02057.JPG

And here it is again from our room...............

DSC02068.JPG

Not a bad room for a "take what you get" mid week cancellation.

Last edited:
Here is a couple more shots from the Inn, our room and the main hall-------this thing is huge!

10347566_553541631418772_300519540780694993_n.jpg

DSC02066.JPG

DSC02085.JPG

This is an area called Biscuit Basin, named for pieces of rock thrown out by a geyser eruption some time back.

DSC02091.JPG

DSC02094.JPG

DSC02112.JPG
[/IMG]

DSC02115.JPG
[/IMG]

Next stop was Yellowstone falls overlook at a place called Artist Point.

DSC02137.JPG

DSC02139.JPG

DSC02148.JPG

Last edited:
As promised, wild life shots.

Driving back from Artist Point, an Elk along side the road.

DSC02150.JPG

And almost directly across the road, was this big fellow.

DSC02158.JPG

More bison a few miles down the road.

DSC02168.JPG

DSC02171.JPG

DSC02191.JPG

I stopped counting at 50------there must have been close to twice that amount out there. One big guy was on the opposite side of the road, right next to the road.

DSC02172.JPG

DSC02175.JPG

DSC02193.JPG

DSC02181.JPG

DSC02197.JPG

Last edited:
The next day it was time to go home, after talking to the gentleman who runs the Livingstone airport, we decided to follow his recommendations to fly back along the route we had driven to Yellowstone, and are we ever glad we did so.

Here are a few shots of the park from our flight back home.

DSC02233.JPG

DSC02237.JPG

DSC02252.JPG

DSC02253.JPG

DSC02257.JPG

DSC02259.JPG

A final farewell look back at the main geyser area.

DSC02263.JPG

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed it.

Full album is here.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMKaIwb_9Yk7aVVP3kGDljEgLovy9ExKGFlkaKO

Last edited:
Mike, glad you guys are having fun! It was great to meet you and check out your plane at OSH before you left. Safe travels.

Mike and Laura,

Great post and it was wonderful to spend time with the two of you at OSH!!

James

Mike,
what was your route back home from the park?

Departed Livingstone and followed the river to Gardiner, then a bit south until past the taller mountains.

After that, overfly Dubois (u41) and fuel at Gooding (KGNG), then overfly Lovelock (KLOL) and finally to home (O61).

This was the route suggested by the manager at Livingstone, worked well for us.

Last edited:
I see where you are called THE SENIOR CURMUDGEON.
So not knowing the meaning I google'd it. My question is how did a nice person like yourself get this nick name?
:eek::confused:

Curmudgeon - Merriam-Webster Online
www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/curmudgeon
Merriam‑Webster
a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains.

Curmudgeon | Define Curmudgeon at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/curmudgeon
Dictionary.com
a bad-tempered, difficult, cantankerous person. Origin: 1570–80;

curmudgeon - Wiktionary
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curmudgeon
Wiktionary

Curmudgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curmudgeon
Wikipedia
Curmudgeon is a word meaning "an ill-tempered person full of stubborn ideas or opinions" and may refer to: I, Curmudgeon, a 2004 documentary

wikiHow
Have you finally given up on becoming a sex god, movie star, billionaire or genius during your life? You may be ready to become a curmudgeon! Curmudgeons ...
Urban Dictionary: Curmudgeon
www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...Curmudgeon
Urban Dictionary
2. Curmudgeon. somebody considered to be bad-tempered, disagreeable, or stubborn. A killjoy, a wet blanket. Roy is a curmudgeon, lets not invite him.
curmudgeon - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com
www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/curmudgeon
Old, cranky, and more than a little stubborn, a curmudgeon is the crusty grey haired neighbor who refuses to hand out candy at Halloween and shoos away ...

it just goes on and on. because you definitely are not what it says you are, at least from what I know about you. Or am I missing some thing?
Fred

ps, beautiful pictures! thank u. I have never been east of pa, yet. I have flown from maine to florida though. My wife won't fly, so I am not having as much enjoyment as a lot of you gentleman are. You better charish what you have and don't take from for granite,,,,,just take em for a ride LOL.
She did say she would fly in an RV10. oh well.

Last edited:
Just impressive! Is it your plane sitting alone there at Gardiner Mike? :D

I wasn't so lucky on locating the geysers from the air. I toured Yellowstone Lake then some tundra (10K or so) buildups were everywhere.

I was there a week before you and will be back in search of those geysers...

Nice meeting you two at Osh as well.

Mike, glad you guys are having fun! It was great to meet you and check out your plane at OSH before you left. Safe travels.

Mike,

Thanks for the report. Good to see you at Oshkosh.

Mike and Laura,

Great post and it was wonderful to spend time with the two of you at OSH!!

James

Zac, Tim, Jay, James------good seeing all of you also. Good to talk RV with folks.

James, thanks again for the ride in your electric chariot after the Vans dinner. Much appreciated.

Fred, truth of the matter is that I am an old man, and I am pretty set in my ways, and subject to getting annoyed----------I just put on a good front here:D

Vlad, not me at Gardiner, would have preferred to land there, but no rental car available, and we were not about to explore Yellowstone by foot.

Thanks Mike, looks like a great trip. I haven't flown my RV further west than Chicago. But when I do......

I stopped counting at 50------there must have been close to twice that amount out there.
DSC02191.JPG

DSC02197.JPG

Hard to believe that in BRV (Before RV) time there were thousands of these beasts in a herd. Sure would make it hard to decide on an emergency landing location in Yellowstone. Land in the valley where it is flat but 1000s of massive beasts or try to land in the mountains.

millions

Hard to believe that in BRV (Before RV) time there were thousands of these beasts in a herd. Sure would make it hard to decide on an emergency landing location in Yellowstone. Land in the valley where it is flat but 1000s of massive beasts or try to land in the mountains.

Herds used to number in the millions.

Back