What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Help Setting Flap Position

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am setting the flap position with the push rod and have the ailrons set neutral and clamped the flaps to them. The problem is the flap overhang skin on the bottom does not touch the underside of the fuse. The flap needs to come up another 2.5* or so. Should I set the flaps with the ailrons and leave the gap or set the flaps at full up with the overhang against the fuse?

Thanks for the advice.

John, your signature line says you have a 7, so I moved this to the RV 7 forum.

I know different models have different flap geometry, so I figure it should be model specific.

Check aileron bracket

I would start by closely checking the outboard aileron bracket. My aileron was riding high on the outboard side by 1/8 inch or so such that when you align the outboard trailing edge to the neutral position via tooling holes ... The inboard trailing edge is too low assuming the inboard bracket is correct. Thus the flaps are low when aligned.

The trick is how to ensure the outboard aileron bracket is located properly. I used a nylon string wrapped around the wing / aileron and checked for a smooth streamline transition from wing to aileron skins on both sides.

Consider that your flaps will be pushed up a bit by the force of the air during flight, so depending on the gap, that maybe just right.

Bend it

The wing has a dihedral, the bottom skin is flat. Therefore you need to bend the flap overhang skin to contact the bottom skin. I recommend removing the rod end pivot from the flap before you bend. If not it will get in the way when you bend the overhang skin.

Been there done that.

Thanks guys. I set both flaps today with the ailrons neutral and the motor at the full retract position. Left flap overhange was almost to the fusalage and the right was even closer. I will bend the overhang to touch the fuse. Max down angle is 46 left and 45 right.

Back