What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let's go swimming

Vlad

Well Known Member
The air is smooth as silk but visibility sucks. Something is brewing in the skies but I still have couple hours. Let's go SWIMMING! There is a place somewhere in upstate NY.

All the same views.

Black granites of The Infantry School.

Do you know what's written on the opposite side of the roof?

Bikers waving from Bear Mountain.

Nice paint job Barge.

55 minutes after.

What Mike S said yesterday about those rivets?

Pics of you swimming or it didn't happen!

You know it's not easy to take a picture in the middle of the river with strong current. :)

Here is the best shot of my swimming

And I also found a nice place to swim my RV she loved that.

thanks for flight following btw...

vman, i knew you would like that swimming hole. a new concept, fly to swim.
you should fly to katama airport on the vinyard where you can land, taxi, park and walk across the road to south beach. :):)
img1232pd.jpg

Looks to me like Vlad is picking up weather from the cell network (Verizon LTE). ADS-B weather looks more blocky, and doesn't show the current pathway of thunderstorm cells. Here's what ADS-B looks like on ForeFlight using the original Stratus:

DSCN2310.JPG

Last edited:
Vlad..on your IPAD. Weather source? thanks,

Gary Gunn
RV-6
Phoenix, AZ

Gary Mike is right it's via Verizon network on ForeFlight. There is a delay in weather situation 10 minutes or more. There was a wide passage in the yellow/red but radar picture is showing no pass. I wouldn't count on it as a primary WX source. Definitely a nice feature and cost only few bucks a month. $19.99 in data plan to be exact. :)

Lets go Swimming

Great way to beat the humidity we have had around here the last week or so

Gotta love it!

Juan

My wife told me she got some rain at our house yesterday and the humidity when it was raining was all the way up to 38% form the 14% it was earlier in the day. Not much help for the fire danger around here.
Great way to beat the humidity we have had around here the last week or so

Gotta love it!

Juan

Which airport, and how far to the water ? My wife and I love finding places to fly and swim. Next week we are going to Provincetown (PVC) and Martha's Vinyard (1B2).
Other great fly/swim spots are Ocean City, NJ (26N). Cape Hatteras (HSE). All have swimming less that a few walkable steps from the airport.

1I5 Freehold NY

Which airport, and how far to the water ? My wife and I love finding places to fly and swim. Next week we are going to Provincetown (PVC) and Martha's Vinyard (1B2).
Other great fly/swim spots are Ocean City, NJ (26N). Cape Hatteras (HSE). All have swimming less that a few walkable steps from the airport.

Turbo found that gem last week. The river flows couple hundred yards from the runway. Plenty of swimming holes.

Hard surface is in decent shape and grass is excellent land anywhere you want.

Bill the Patrolman graciously offered a towel and a tuna sandwich. How he knows? :D

Watch for low level gliders. Keep closer to the fence side when you go to the end of runway. Just don't touch the fence it's electric don't ask me how I know.

Water warm as morning cow milk.

Wild raspberries are right here if you are hungry.

Vlad,

If you had stayed here you could have swam up and down the runway. it's been raining since you guys left.

Went one more time on July 4th. What a place thanks Turbo for intel!

Clear water nice weather. I guess we can taxi down runway 12 all the way to the beach :)

Who is in this Sunday?

Hey water winds, can't make it. Will be liming out at Groton long point with the family for the week. Water front cottage on east shore #88 . Come on by if you can figure that out.

Solving the location puzzle?

Turbo, are you a couple of miles east of KGON,

88 East Shore Ave.
Groton Long Point, CT

4th house south of Beach Road?

Carl

Vlad took me to the swimming hole.

8.jpg

This one is a bit far for an after work flight so we are looking for others! Keep the intel coming. It's HOT these days and we need relief!

Post your swimming holes and we may just show up. Heck, Vlad doesn't have a distance requirement. You may be surprised!

Last edited:
My wife and I got stuck at Montauk (MTP) last week. The beach was right at the end of the runway, and a nice restaurant at the opposite end. Nice swim, but I was a little put off by the $17 landing fee.

17$ is cheap to help keep open a nice airport with all the great features it has. The water is crystal clear out there. The seafood is so fresh it will melt in your mouth. Ask me how I know. Was there yesterday in the boat. Bake stuffed flounder with lobster sauce. :)

That's the view of Freehold airport and adjacent Mohawk River on Feb, 2014. Not even a single Polar Bear down there.

That's the view of Freehold airport and adjacent Mohawk River on Feb, 2014. Not even a single Polar Bear down there.

Sure you don't mean the Catskill Creek Vlad? ;) Mohawk is a lot farther to the North.

I'm dreaming of wearing a bathing suit again someday

The thought of flying to swim today seems as foreign as flying to the moon! Another snow storm brewing for the Nor'east!

we will be meeting there for a swim before you know it. time flys faster every year. see you soon in the north east. love that airport. put it on your bucket list. :cool:

Sure you don't mean the Catskill Creek Vlad? ;) Mohawk is a lot farther to the North.

NYTOM is right as usual :)

Another snow storm brewing for the Nor'east!

Tony I almost touched it tonight. Not pretty :eek:

we will be meeting there for a swim before you know it. time flys faster every year. see you soon in the north east. love that airport. put it on your bucket list. :cool:

Turbo can't wait to have you back.

Maybe you can lead us again to Rangeley (NSA picture) :D

k3.jpg

back to ya my friend. i think i remember flying in your rv. it wasnt a dream. stay warm. when are you comin south for a visit? you can swim down here. got a boat to tool around in now. you want to drive? :cool:

I wanted to go fly and the weather was looking good for some "leg stretching" so I decided I?d equip the Devastator for a long range bombing run with 62 gallons of fuel and head north!

P1000565_thumb.jpg
IMG_3230_thumb.jpg

After chatting with Randal and the other soaring staff, It was time to get down to the task of swimming. I caught a ride in one of the golf carts over to the easiest access to the river. After a quick change into the proper clothing ? Randall said they occasionally have "clothing optional" swimmers take advantage of the river ? I carefully made my way down river a bit. They?ve had a lot of rain so the river has swollen and was moving pretty quick. Turns out that made the requisite "photographic proof" easy !

TL000149_composite_cropped_thumb.jpg

After the swim, and while I warmed up ? the water was COLD ? I had a quick box lunch (all they way from the Amazon.com jungle).

P1000566_thumb.jpg
P1000567_thumb.jpg

nice flight glen. i thought the water might be a bit chilly this time of year. i am packed up and headed north at day break. ill rock my wings as i pass over. looks like a good welcoming comity for you. love that place. ;)

I opened 2014 swimming season today :D

Dove by Andover.

Visited a spot suggested by a fair cop. If no phone calls from LE, would post info in "grass strips collected" thread :)

Vman, I found this great river to go swimming in. Check it out. It is just east of the Chester VOR. We will need to go in the helicopter. We need more missions. Start at the reservoir and head north. Let me know what you think.
d2f7e5f29032e97616400b294b736ed6.jpg

Recently found a fun grass strip in Connecticut - complete with swimming hole!

First thing I had to do was find a parking space. Leave it to Beaver to have a spot just waiting for me ...

IMG_3830-575x431.jpg

You don't want to do run long - the runway ends "in the water" ...

IMG_3838-575x431.jpg

I didn't want to lose my iPhone in the pond so the "proof shot" is just a foot away ...
IMG_3833-575x431.jpg

After a crisp dip I dried off and looked to find a local. None to be seen. Bummer since the hangar looked like it was well occupied ...

IMG_3831-575x431.jpg

See you next time !

Last edited:
Come on glen, maybe a hint.

Crow island had one of the nicest runways and spring fed ponds for swimming. :)

Back