What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A build time

pastranafan5

Vans says 1500 hours build time for the kit. I'm wondering how long people have spent on the empennage. Also how long for the individual sections, like the horizontal or vertical stabilizer. Any help would be appreciated.

I wish!

My log shows the following:

Empennage: 306 hrs 17 min
Wings: 680 hrs 47 min
Fuselage: 132 hrs 33 min
TOTAL: 1119 hrs 37 min​

I don't have any more detail than that. I'm obviously on the slower end of the range. Wings are 90% done and I've just started the fuselage.

Don't let the relative success (or failures for that matter) of others get you discouraged. The time to build varies WIDELY from person to person. I think the record for any kit is about 90 days. Others have taken 15+ years.

Thank you. I'm just wanting to see if I'm in the ball park. Being new to this I'm still kind of skeptical whether I know what I'm doing or not, lol.

I don't log my build time, but I would say it took me 4-5 months to get the tail finished and about a year and a half now to get the wings done (still need to do the ailerons and flaps)

I don't work consistently. sometimes its weeks between work sessions. I usually work anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours at a time. I just work when I feel like it, and stop a work session when I get tired.

Sorry I don't have more accurate information. Others will have better info and will chime in here I'm sure.

I don't work consistently. sometimes its weeks between work sessions.

+1 to that. The 1100+ hours I've logged to date are since September of 2009. I think there was even a stretch of 12-18 months where I did nothing. I was moving and changing jobs during that time. Life tends to get in the way sometimes. I'm lucky, in a sense, that I'm single with no kids. On the other hand I know that many a wife or girlfriend have been sources of motiviation for builders everywhere. No disrespect meant.

Build on!

You'll find that build times are totaled in differing ways. Some just count "touch labor" (fabrication, assembly, inspection and test), while others count "overhead" time like time in the shop which might include tuning the TV channel or popping the top on a beverage or actually time studying the plans.

As they say, YMMV. And remember, it's for education and recreation, not a time and motion study!

Really, "BoilermakerRV," do you really log time to the minute? :)

P.S. I probably should not be replying to the OP since I have taken over 11 years and haven't even finished the wings yet. :eek: Of course, I did help take care of my dad after his stroke and then I had two heart surgeries in 2009. So I guess I do have some area for an excuse or two.

Last edited:
Yeah, time will be all over the place. My first build was about 2.5 years. Many long hard days. My second build I think is going on 7 years and just chugging along happy as a clam that I already have something to fly.

Really, "BoilermakerRV," do you really log time to the minute? :)

Yes, I do. But as they say, "there's an app for that". I use Timesheeter on my iPhone. I can't help it, it's the engineer in me.

image.png

Don't worry about the times. And certainly DONT RUSH. This is where you learn to pace yourself, read plans, learn how to do things, and most of all learn to THINK. The plan get worse and you progress and you will get smarter. That will pay off as you progress through the project. I bought a project in process and I had a lot to learn.

Rushing will lead to typical emp problems like

oops, i smacked the frame simpler and made a new hole,
oops, I was back riveting and tried to rivet OFF THE PLATE.

Go easy, steady, and the skill learned will save the time and make the progress appear like magic.

It is building, not assembly, and certainly not a competition.

I'm Like Boilermaker

When I started my QB rv6a back about 14 yrs ago, Van allowed as how it would be done in 1000 hrs. Being a numbers type of guy I religiously recorded each minute as per "Boilermaker" above. :D

Please note I recorded not only hands-on time, but every bit of manual reading, head scratching, staring at plans, trips to Van's for parts/advice (10 miles away), etc. In other words, everything I had to do related directly to the finished project:rolleyes:

I stopped counting at 3000 hrs...:eek: 6 years to first flight then another 6 months to tidy up fairings and prep for painting. A WAG would be 6000 hrs, equivalent to 3 yrs full time work. Yeas, I am slow and anal.

Would I do it again? only if I were 14 yrs younger. But, there are quite a few very nice RV's that one can buy for the same cost or lower as building. If you love to build go that route as many have. Otherwise, buy a good one.

Log time

My log shows the following:

Empennage: 306 hrs 17 min
Wings: 680 hrs 47 min
Fuselage: 132 hrs 33 min
TOTAL: 1119 hrs 37 min​

I don't have any more detail than that. I'm obviously on the slower end of the range. Wings are 90% done and I've just started the fuselage.

Don't let the relative success (or failures for that matter) of others get you discouraged. The time to build varies WIDELY from person to person. I think the record for any kit is about 90 days. Others have taken 15+ years.

Jeez Mike. If your slow, I'm slow too. I log to the minute in the shop. No beer time but head scratching is definitely logged.
I too miss building for all sorts of reasons.
Emp-225:35
Tanks-237:00
Wings to date-354:40

Last edited:
7A Build time

Similar to B. Collins, very close to 3K hours over an 8 yr span. Thought about the build every spare minute during that time. My son was only 13 at the beginning of the project and he shared in setting every rivet. We emphasized that time was not a factor and that quality work was always #1.
Spent a lot of time near the end assuring that alignment was perfect and that firewall forward was equally perfect. As a result, 125 since new without a single issue.

Jim Diehl-7A
Based on Lock Haven, Pa.

Here's my breakdown.
Doesn't include the wheel pants, final glass work & paint.
My logs do not include time spent reviewing plans…only shop time when I was ready to work.
Note: my 7 is a go plane, not show plane.

Empennage: 132.5 Hours
Wings: 332.5 Hours
Fuselage: 332 Hours
Interior: 23.5 Hours
Wiring: 143 Hours
Finish Kit: 284 Hours
FWF Kit: 217 Hours
Misc Mods: 5.5 Hours
Panel: 81.5 Hours
Misc: 130.5 Hours

Last edited:
OK, so Vans says 1500 hours.

1/4 of that I do as quick as they estimate.
3/8 takes twice as long
3/8 I do three times and the last one is quick, so 3X

Now for all the things did not plan for, 800 hours

So that makes about 4000. Wow a big number.

I am sure if I did one again it might just take 1500 hours, here is why.

I would do things once, not 2 -3 - 4 times until I get it right.
All my special tools are made,
I won't have to design things.
I would not get off-plan and have to think of a new way
I have the skills to go at a steady pace, not too fast, not too slow (like now)

Your hours may vary.

I see your replies are all over the board, this is my experience:

-Empennage takes 1 week Monday thru Friday
-Horizontal stab takes 2 days
-Vertical stab takes 1 day
-Rudder takes 1 day
-Elevators take 1 day each plus a couple hours for the trim tab

I know the above adds up to 6 days but if you 'work' on it you'll actually finish up in 5 days.

Hope that helps :).
Have fun!

Vans says 1500 hours build time for the kit. I'm wondering how long people have spent on the empennage. Also how long for the individual sections, like the horizontal or vertical stabilizer. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm building an RV-12 - undoubtedly the quickest and easiest to build RV kit out there. Vans say the average builder can put it together in just 700-900 hours. However, being a well above average builder, I'm pleased to say I'm nearly up to 1600 hours now, and almost finished. Just another couple of hundred hours should do it. Perfection takes time! Besides, who wants to be just average. ;)

Last edited:
Rick,
How about the fuselage and finishing kit times?
Cj

I see your replies are all over the board, this is my experience:

-Empennage takes 1 week Monday thru Friday
-Horizontal stab takes 2 days
-Vertical stab takes 1 day
-Rudder takes 1 day
-Elevators take 1 day each plus a couple hours for the trim tab

I know the above adds up to 6 days but if you 'work' on it you'll actually finish up in 5 days.

Hope that helps :).
Have fun!

Took me 1600 hours

Had a QB and logged all thinking and working time to the closest 0.25. That time was jammed into 18 months. That includes a full IFR panel design and build. Then, flew off 60 hours and took it down for another 200 hours to paint. Total was 1800 hours and a little over 2 years including the paint and the initial flying. Seems like I hear a lot of 1800 hours of work but 7 years of elapsed time. If you have the budget and the focus you can get it done quick.

"Perfection is the enemy of completion." - JB, Vans

"Decide...do you want a go plane or a show plane?" Go planes get built quicker. It's only got to look good from 20 feet, right? :)

Don't let anyone tell you differently, Starting the finishing kit is about the 1/2 way mark for a standard build kit. Wings and Emp complete point is about one quarter of the way there. I completed a 7 standard build kit and my overall timeline was per below. Averaging consistent build time of about 10-15 hours per week through the whole 4 year project.

Emp: 3 months
Wings: 9 months
Fuselage: 12 months
Finishing Kit: 24 months

First flight was almost exactly 4 years to day.

Build time

I am nearing completion of my 7A. I have logged only wrench time in the shop, not blog or phone or reading time. I have almost 1400 hrs thus far minus the paint job which will be a paint shop. I'm guessing I'll have 1450-1500 hrs when done. Working on wheel pants now. My kit is a quick build and I've been building for five years. I think this is about the average time. I've met some fellow builders who have done it in about two- three yrs and if you can stay committed, that is very doable. Goths is my first build but I will be in the small minority who actually finish their project. Be prepared for setbacks but use them as lessons, but KEEP building! It'll be worth the wait!
Mike

Almost ready to fly.
FAA inspection in three days!

What I learned

When I bought my project the seller told me I could complete it in six months!:p I am almost 2 yrs into it now! I don't log my hours because it is too depressing. (But I have loved every minute of it!) I am almost finished with the baffles and cowl work, have the panel and interior done, canopy finished (front windscreen to go) wings, wiring, lights finished............ I took my current "to do" list and projected the time to finish will be 900 hrs including painting!:eek: I hope I estimated long on everything but probably did not if history serves. I allowed 200 hrs to paint and I have a lot of small things to finish, wingtips, fairings, brakes, windscreen, SB on HS, and the list goes on and on! Like they say, 90% done and 90% to go.

If you plan on 1500 hrs, you better have HELP, experience, time management skills, no paint, and a firm commitment to stick to the basic plans!

Back