What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage confusion

Jyuma

I can't make sense out of the left/right designation of the F-1284 Shear Clips.

On page 10is/U-06 Step 6 it says to rivet the F-1284-L & R Shear Clips to the F-1283A & B J-Stiffeners. In the figure 2 view it shows the F-1284-R getting riveted to the F-1283 B.... However, on page 10is/U-03 Figure 4 shows the F-1284-L & R as the opposite way they are shown on page 10is/U-06.

There is no way to mount the left & right Shear Clips the way they are shown on page 10is/U-06 if the Shear Clips are marked left & right according to the way they are shown on page 10is/U-03.

What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks

I can't make sense out of the left/right designation of the F-1284 Shear Clips.

On page 10is/U-06 Step 6 it says to rivet the F-1284-L & R Shear Clips to the F-1283A & B J-Stiffeners. In the figure 2 view it shows the F-1284-R getting riveted to the F-1283 B.... However, on page 10is/U-03 Figure 4 shows the F-1284-L & R as the opposite way they are shown on page 10is/U-06.

There is no way to mount the left & right Shear Clips the way they are shown on page 10is/U-06 if the Shear Clips are marked left & right according to the way they are shown on page 10is/U-03.

What am I missing? :confused:

Thanks

Jyuma, I came across the same issue with the alignment of the holes for the Shear Clips. My assumption is the L & R Shear Clips are mislabeled on page 10-03. I just wrote Van?s to get confirmation.

Look ahead to the next step and let me know how your J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B fit in the inside radius of the J-stiffener rails of Bottom Skins F-1282-L & R. That?s the issue I was asking about in the other thread.

Happy building!

Jyuma, I came across the same issue with the alignment of the holes for the Shear Clips. My assumption is the L & R Shear Clips are mislabeled on page 10-03. I just wrote Van?s to get confirmation.

Look ahead to the next step and let me know how your J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B fit in the inside radius of the J-stiffener rails of Bottom Skins F-1282-L & R. That?s the issue I was asking about in the other thread.

Happy building!

The best I can tell, the J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B don't fit inside the radius of the J-stiffener rails on the Bottom Skins F-1282-L & R, in my setup the radius of the F-1283A & B fit over the radius of the J-stiffener of the bottom skins.

I have the tail cone upside down right now ready for riveting. In the morning I'll finish the riveting and turn the tail cone right side up to get a better view, but the best I can determine laying on the ground looking up, it looks to me like the radius of the F-1283A & B fits perfectly over the radius of the bottom skin stiffener.

I'll post again once I get a better look in the morning.

The best I can tell, the J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B don't fit inside the radius of the J-stiffener rails on the Bottom Skins F-1282-L & R, in my setup the radius of the F-1283A & B fit over the radius of the J-stiffener of the bottom skins.

I have the tail cone upside down right now ready for riveting. In the morning I'll finish the riveting and turn the tail cone right side up to get a better view, but the best I can determine laying on the ground looking up, it looks to me like the radius of the F-1283A & B fits perfectly over the radius of the bottom skin stiffener.

I'll post again once I get a better look in the morning.

Agreed! They do fit BETTER over the outside radius of the J-stiffener of the bottom skins, but that?s NOT how it?s drawn on the plans! And it seems placing them on the outside radius will introduce an extra layer sandwiched between the bottom skins and the lower L & R skins when they?re attached on page 10-07.

I verified that the radius J-Stiffeners F-1283A & B fit over the radius of the J-Stiffeners of the bottom skins. They don't overlap by much, in fact it's almost more like they butt up against each other but the F-1283 Stiffeners overlap the bottom skin stiffeners by a hair. At least they do on mine.

Agreed! They do fit BETTER over the outside radius of the J-stiffener of the bottom skins, but that?s NOT how it?s drawn on the plans! And it seems placing them on the outside radius will introduce an extra layer sandwiched between the bottom skins and the lower L & R skins when they?re attached on page 10-07.

I didn't have a problem with an extra layer... everything on page 10-07 went together without a problem. It all riveted together perfectly.

I goofed.

On page 10is/U-11 of the empennage kit plans in Detail A-A. When I removed the vinyl from F-00009-L & R I failed to mark the parts L & R. I initially thought they could only go one way but now I see they can mount 2 ways, one with the taper facing forward and the other with the taper facing aft? Which way should they mount? Narrower end forward or aft?

Thanks.

I also removed the vinyl without marking the parts, so I faced the same dilemma.

Looking carefully at Detail A-A, you can see that the F-1278 top skin is sloping aft, but the bottom flange of the F-00009-L and R appears to be level. Therefore, I riveted the F-00009 with the wide end of the flange forward and the narrow end of the flange aft.

If you have drawing 42CiS/U-01 and 42CiS/U-09, you can see a different view that seems to confirm the orientation I described above is correct. Let us know what the factory says if you contact them. I hope I did this correctly!

I also removed the vinyl without marking the parts, so I faced the same dilemma.

Looking carefully at Detail A-A, you can see that the F-1278 top skin is sloping aft, but the bottom flange of the F-00009-L and R appears to be level. Therefore, I riveted the F-00009 with the wide end of the flange forward and the narrow end of the flange aft.

If you have drawing 42CiS/U-01 and 42CiS/U-09, you can see a different view that seems to confirm the orientation I described above is correct. Let us know what the factory says if you contact them. I hope I did this correctly!

I used the same logic you did and mounted them with the narrow end aft, but I didn't rivet them, I only cleco'd them. I'll let you know what Vans says.

Back