What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vacuum system - suction gauge shows offscale high

mratzburg

Hi all,

Yesterday I flew my new to me RV-6 down to Florida from Wisconsin.

During the flight I noticed my AI going wonky, and checked the suction gauge which is now indicating off scale high.

Is this condition damaging the gyro instruments? I could have an A&P look at the plane when I return but am hoping they haven?t been trashed.

My plane is a VFR Bird, but I don?t like staring at broken instruments (and like the DG) - are there any RV mechanics in Fort Myers who could help?

Thanks,
Mark

Broken regulator?

But you would think the failure mode would be 'no suck' rather than 'full suck' :)

Alternate thought

No idea of your budget or familiarity with current experimental aircraft options, but an electronic device such as a Garmin G5, GRT Mini, etc. might entirely remove the need for any vaccum system. There are options with backup batteries that will outlast a full fuel load.

Purchasing a new device might be less expensive than repairing an old device/system.

Carl

A regulator that sticks may cause high or low pressure/vacuum. Sometimes a little gentle cleaning will free them up but the only safe way to do that is to remove it from the lines (cleaner or lightweight oil may migrate to your pump or instruments with bad results). While off, just replace it as they aren't much money. Yes, high pressure/vacuum may damage your instruments but never had direct experience with an instrument failure due to a stuck regulator.

Thanks for all the replies.

I actually had planned to upgrade to G5 at some point (along with the Garmin autopilot) but hadn?t planned to do so right now.

It sounds like a field repair is unlikely unless replacing the filter would fix the issue. I?m guessing it?s unlikely someone around here has the correct Rapco regulator - I don?t know which P/N I?ve got - A/C docs are back at home.

im at page field. I sent you a PM with contact info. I can take a look at it and maybe help you out.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back