What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip Up Canopy Ejection hinge cuts

kyhunting

Well Known Member
Can someone post a picture or diagram of the cuts that have to be made in the fusalage for the Tip Up canopy hinges to fit thru when the canopy ejection handle is pulled. The dimension of the cuts would be great. Thanks David

They're just slots in the top skin above the tipup hinge ears .. as wide as the ears (plus a bit) and as deep as the ears protrude into the forward section (plus a bit) .. Enough to be able to push the canopy out once you retract the pins. This should be pretty obvious once the canopy ears are drilled and the tipper frame is in place; cut to fit.

That being said, I and other tipper builders have left this part out. There is serious debate whether we can actually eject the canopy in flight. Search the forum here for the debate.

I called an acro instructor to get some training. I wanted to use my 6A. He is familiar with RV's and asked if I had the ejection handle installed and the skin cuts above the hinges. I said "No". He said that he required both in order to give the instruction in my plane. I've wanted to add the ejection handle anyway, so I will do both. It doesn't look to be detrimental to the plane. Thanks for the reply. David

I cover the "slots" with white 3-M tape. This is the same tape that glider owners use to cover wing root joints. Just happens to match JetGlo "Matterhorn White" beautifully.

Mel, what width of the 3M tape? I'm gonna have to order it online. Looks like the rolls are 36 yards long and cost around $30. I guess I'll have plenty to spare... Thanks David

Mel, what width of the 3M tape? I'm gonna have to order it online. Looks like the rolls are 36 yards long and cost around $30. I guess I'll have plenty to spare... Thanks David

It's 2" wide. Yes, it IS expensive. And Yes, one roll will last you several lifetimes!
I need to change it about every 2-3 years.

Could a slit cover made from 0.016" 6061 (or 0.010" aluminum roof flashing) be lightly prosealed in place and still be functional? My tip-up doesn't have the slits.

Could a slit cover made from 0.016" 6061 (or 0.010" aluminum roof flashing) be lightly prosealed in place and still be functional? My tip-up doesn't have the slits.

I don't think I would use proseal here. Proseal is pretty tough and may not turn loose.

Hmmm....

Ever tried to push the tape loose, using the canopy? Ever calculated the air pressure download on the forward part (base) of the canopy at 150mph? (I haven't, but I am curious...)

On making the canopy depart: Most evidence indicates that the rear of the tipup canopy floats a few inches up when unlatched in flight. Anyone looked at how far up it would have to go to allow the hinge arms to clear the forward skin, if it *isn't* notched? There's obvious risk of getting the canopy in your face, but I suspect that risk exists, anyway.

The reason my RV-6 doesn't have the notches is I never fly with parachutes and don't plan to in the future. Since nobody has jettisoned an RV-6 canopy in flight (notches or not) it remains an unknown issue as to whether or not the canopy can even be jettisoned if desired....or with what impact on the occupants...

But we have had this discussion multiple times over the years with the same (non)conclusions. :)

Last edited:
.... it remains an unknown issue as to whether or not the canopy can even be jettisoned if desired....or with what impact on the occupants...

I cut the slots for the hinges to aid construction of the tip-up canopy for the 100 times the canopy frame needs to be removed. Before paint (300 hours later) I just fiberglassed over the slots with a thin layer that could probably be kicked out if the airplane flipped over on a forced landing. My canopy release handle is just that .... another way to egress with the airplane on its back... not intended for an airborne bailout.

...could probably be kicked out if the airplane flipped over on a forced landing. My canopy release handle is just that .... another way to egress with the airplane on its back... not intended for an airborne bailout.
When a tip-up is on its back, it sits on the canopy. Trying to kick out the hinges at that point may give you something to do, but it won't get you out of the airplane unless you can lift the entire airplane off the canopy. Unless you're floating in water and the cockpit is filled, the canopy won't open.

For all practical purposes....the canopy jettison feature is just to make it easier to remove the canopy for major (paint?) maintenance, and the slits are not needed for that operation. I've had the canopy off my RV-6 once since 1999.

Last edited:
Back