What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HS-00005 Rib Question

slngsht

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I think I need to replace my inner ribs on the horizontal stabilizer before proceeding.

As I read the instructions, it simply said "choose which ribs will be used in the right and which will be used in the left, and mark them."

So, I set aside one HS-00005 for each side.

However, now that I have everything mocked up, I have noticed that the width of HS-00005 is not the same between the two ends. The way I have mine, the rib is a little too wide in the rear (preventing skin from sitting on the rear spar flush), and a little too narrow in the front (there is a gap between skin and rib at front spar).

I did a rough measurement of HS-00005 width, and it's about 3.19" wide on one end, and 3.15" wide on the other. If mine were flipped, it would solve, or greatly reduce my gap problem.

Has anyone else run into this? Did I misread the instructions?

Ribs

Hi All,
I think I need to replace my inner ribs on the horizontal stabilizer before proceeding.

As I read the instructions, it simply said "choose which ribs will be used in the right and which will be used in the left, and mark them."

So, I set aside one HS-00005 for each side.

However, now that I have everything mocked up, I have noticed that the width of HS-00005 is not the same between the two ends. The way I have mine, the rib is a little too wide in the rear (preventing skin from sitting on the rear spar flush), and a little too narrow in the front (there is a gap between skin and rib at front spar).

I did a rough measurement of HS-00005 width, and it's about 3.19" wide on one end, and 3.15" wide on the other. If mine were flipped, it would solve, or greatly reduce my gap problem.

Has anyone else run into this? Did I misread the instructions?

If memory serves, they are not symmetrical. They go in with a forward and aft orientation. If you haven't drilled them, swap them as needed. If drilled, they probably need to be replaced.

Join the club

If my memory serves me I think I replaced mine twice. :p

Very small in the grand scheme to order new parts but you are making the right choice in my opinion. There will be many other instances where you may need to order a new part. Don't be afraid to work on a few pieces at the same time (rudder and elevators, etc) as I will guarantee that you will need to order another part. And it saves so much money if you can order multiple parts together. I built the sections according to the manual in-order and now I own stock in Fed-ex cause I'd have parts shipped one at a time as I need them. I couldn't tell you how many times I received a replacement part, work for a couple days and then had to order a different part, or rivets, or tool just to keep going.

Don't worry about having to get replacement parts for parts that you mess up. It's part of the normal process or at least my normal process :D. Most of the parts are not that expensive to get replacements so if in doubt I tend to just get a replacement. One thing I have learned during the build is that I'm likely to mess up another part before long so I tend to group my orders to save on shipping unless the part is preventing me from proceeding.

Shipping

Don't worry about having to get replacement parts for parts that you mess up. It's part of the normal process or at least my normal process :D. Most of the parts are not that expensive to get replacements so if in doubt I tend to just get a replacement. One thing I have learned during the build is that I'm likely to mess up another part before long so I tend to group my orders to save on shipping unless the part is preventing me from proceeding.

They all make a good point. Resist the urge to rush shipping. Ship the cheapest method and find something else to do while you wait.

Looks like I'm just behind you. I'm sure I would have made the same mistake. I read that direction the same exact way.

Try to get in the habit of taking a look at the drawing not just relying on the instructions alone. Later on in the build they are not as detailed with the instructions. There is a lot of information on the drawings most of the time the answers are there if you keep looking. If you don't know how to read mechanical drawings then you'll need to learn.

Back