What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

perfect rivet

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
This is a follow up to this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=113098

I clipped one of my pictures and blew it up to show what happens when a rivet is installed. We think the hole is round, and it is, but it also has some angled portions where the sheet metal is bent down during dimpling. The effect is that the rivet expands into this angled area and really does lock the metal pieces together. it is easy to see how secure a well riveted piece really is.

2dtwsgx.jpg

I am not a great photographer and I would like to see what someone with a good camera can do. Use a die grinder to cut through a set rivet and then buff the part on the 3M wheel. We could get some shots of different rivets, countersink, dimple/countersink etc. I think it would generate a useful discussion

The simplest items can reveal the true beauty of efficiency and purpose.

I'm aww-struck by your photo.

Thank you for sharing

Over / Under Driven

I'd be interested to see the same view of an over-driven / under-driven rivet. More for curiosity then anything...

A similar cross section of a pulled CherryMax rivet in the same hole would be revealing...

Looks like EVERY one of mine ;-)

Very nice photo ... just like the textbooks say they should look. Cool.

And all this worry about sub structure dimpling. It all should get squished together in the end.

nice picture

Thanks for sharing. I am new to all of this, and after following the thread on sub structure dies and stuff, I thought the picture would look different. It goes to show you, the Van's team has it figured out. For me the mantra has become: Don't over think, just follow the plans.

Very impressive pic. I'm amazed at how all the voids are filled. After I thoroughly mutilated my practice toolbox, I cut it into pieces and dimpled/riveted a couple of big chunks together with a single 3/32" flush-head. I tugged on it with all my might, and the metal tore before the rivet gave way. Strong little buggers!

Classic. There was an educational video by Disney the picture of set rivet is the same. Good job Tom!

The shop head on its side near the center of the photo below is a 3-d representation of a rivet similar to the photo in Tom's original post, showing how well a rivet forms to the inside of the holes in dimpled sheets. I zoomed and cropped a photo of a pile of shop heads I drilled out of my center fuselage bottom skin.
FP04062014A00043.jpg

Back