What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bolt selection

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm thinking ahead, and I would like to buy some trial bolts to save the final bolts any trauma. What would you put on a list of AN3 bolts to buy with regular nuts for test fitting for the empennage and wing? I'm going to go through the parts list for this too; but wonder what the crowd thinks?

It's your thing,do what you wanna do!

You can use bolts over,but inspect them.
The bolts (new) have a goldish look.
Serviceable ones in use may look like grayish after being used.
They may begin gold and still be perfectly airworthy.
The hardware should have no visible nicks on the smooth shank area.

Do not use fasteners that have been subject to :

excess heat

corrosion

bolts of unknown origin or no head marking.

Bolts that have been recalled AD/Service bullitens

Last edited:
You can use bolts over,but inspect them.
The bolts (new) have a goldish look.
Serviceable ones in use may look like grayish after being used.
They may begin gold and still be perfectly airworthy.
The hardware should have no visible nicks on the smooth shank area.

Do not use fasteners that have been subject to :

excess heat

corrosion

bolts of unknown origin or no head marking.

Bolts that have been recalled AD/Service bullitens

And bolts that have been or suspect of being over-torqued. Pitch'em!

I'm thinking ahead, and I would like to buy some trial bolts to save the final bolts any trauma. What would you put on a list of AN3 bolts to buy with regular nuts for test fitting for the empennage and wing? I'm going to go through the parts list for this too; but wonder what the crowd thinks?

Personally, I would just buy some extra nuts, especially the nylocs. During my build I did replace a handful of bolts and screws that I abused, but that was more of a one off situation.

I also separated all my hardware when my kits arrived. I had a habit of ordering more when the bin got down to just a few left. Now that I'm done, I do have a supply of bolts, screws, and nuts, but it saved me multiple times through out the build.

I just went to home depot and bought some wing nuts and proper sized bolts. The only purpose of these is for test fitting pieces that will be temporary in nature.

Personally, I would just buy some extra nuts, especially the nylocs. During my build I did replace a handful of bolts and screws that I abused, but that was more of a one off situation.

I also separated all my hardware when my kits arrived. I had a habit of ordering more when the bin got down to just a few left. Now that I'm done, I do have a supply of bolts, screws, and nuts, but it saved me multiple times through out the build.

Ditto, Extra plate-nuts, rivets, washers, screws, some cherry max etc that cost $100 will save $1000 in shipping. The shipping always becomes a much higher factor nearing the end of the build. Early, you can wait, batch and there is plenty to order, but not at the end. I consider the pain of higher shipping cost ratios the light at the end of the tunnel.

For nuts for fitting purposes, I got hardware store nuts that are a different color so I always know that they are for fitting and the inspectors know too.

For wings, the holes are precision but with the overlaid components they seem tight, so reading about people having to chill ad drive in the wing spar bolts, you might think about making some pins that are straight, round and known diameter for that fitting. If you get your AN bolts you could sand them down to fit easy then pitch when done, it may be less cost.

Lots of well organized people here, much better than I.

Happy building

I just went to home depot and bought some wing nuts and proper sized bolts. The only purpose of these is for test fitting pieces that will be temporary in nature.

Make sure that the wrong bolts, hoses not yet torqued, etc., are all plainly marked with red paint, orange tape, whatever. Three weeks later it is easy to forget what is final and what is not.

GAHCo

Hey Tom

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what is with the $15 surcharge you hang on your Canadian customers? When I first purchased hardware from you in 2010, I dealt with Julie (great to deal with, no surcharge). Now she tells me she has to add the surcharge. Now I can appreciate it cost a little bit more to ship across the border, and obviously our market is only 1/10th of America, but the surcharge seems excessive, and I don't understand why? Too bad because you have a lot of great products that I'd love to order, but you're chasing us Canuck away.
Sincerely,
Rick
Southampton, Ont

I don't know this to be 100% true, but based on my experiences in the US over the last 20 years, there are indeed fees owed (they have decreed) to US Federal Government involved. There are FEES on shipping cans of spray paint, fees on top of tire disposal, fees on gasoline, fees on processing permits to build on wetlands, fees on health insurance, fees on air conditioning refrigerant, fees on airline tickets. I wouldn't be surprised if there are fees on "non-hazardous" items being shipped across the NAFTA-covered northern border. Lots of *highly important* federal employees to keep compensated!

Might be a factor.

Call my Interernational rep, Julie Ramos 805-239-3169

Hey Tom

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but what is with the $15 surcharge you hang on your Canadian customers? When I first purchased hardware from you in 2010, I dealt with Julie (great to deal with, no surcharge). Now she tells me she has to add the surcharge. Now I can appreciate it cost a little bit more to ship across the border, and obviously our market is only 1/10th of America, but the surcharge seems excessive, and I don't understand why? Too bad because you have a lot of great products that I'd love to order, but you're chasing us Canuck away.
Sincerely,
Rick
Southampton, Ont

Julie will explain the legitimate fee charges.

Back