What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Canopy Fit + Latching

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Got my canopy fit, seals installed, great alignment, no twist (self-five).

The latching system is tight now that the seals are installed, really tight. It was perfect before.

I loosened the C-01424 Canopy Pin Blocks to ease it up a bit.

Should I leave everything tight and let the seals settle in and the pin block wear in a bit hoping for an eventual perfect fit or should I go ahead and adjust the Pin Blocks to it latches smoothly now?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
if there's no step-down between the front and rear plexiglass, the pins and holes should align. There may just be one location that's keeping things tight maybe just on one side...maybe see if you can find what's causing this before opening up any holes....

There are 3 layers of thin foam on the front of the canopy sealing the corner. I took out 1 of those and it fits a lot better. Unfortunately, it doesn't just come up, I had to tear it off, so I get to do the seals over (yay!) but seems like it solved the problem.

Bill, canopy fit tends to vary based on the temperature of the components and fuselage. If you're really gung-ho on this, you'll want to to push it out in the sun on the first available hot day....which is not far away in our part of the world.

Bill, canopy fit tends to vary based on the temperature of the components and fuselage. If you're really gung-ho on this, you'll want to to push it out in the sun on the first available hot day....which is not far away in our part of the world.

Thanks, Dan. Unfortunately, removing one of the stacked foam pads led to a snowball effect of ripping seals (that adhesive is good!). So in any case I get to redo them, might as well address the issue now that I have to rework it.

By the way, we got through our checklist from your visit :) thanks again. After getting the seals replaced we are down to just fitting the cowl (started it yesterday) and then off to the hangar!!!

Last edited:

The latching system is tight now that the seals are installed, really tight. It was perfect before.

Should I leave everything tight and let the seals settle in and the pin block wear in a bit hoping for an eventual perfect fit or should I go ahead and adjust the Pin Blocks to it latches smoothly now?

Mine was very difficult to close after seals installation. With a number of closures, they will "work". You can also countersink just a little bit the canopy pin blocks (pin holes).

RV14A Canopy Fit - Seals

I am at the same stage as yourself and after fitting all the seals its very hard to latch the canopy closed. Here in Australia the weather is 36C so I put the canopy in the sun to heat it for 10 mins and... walla... its now closing better. I still have to really pull down on the cntre handle to engage the canopy locking pins. The Secret is to pull down hard and lock it for a few days. I reached through rear baggage area as we have delayed the rear window installation. I believe that the issue is normal and will settle in time with use. Better to have a pre load when closing than a loose fit. Dont modify any other parts as its the common result of seals sealing well.

I've had the same results

Same thing happened with my canopy. In cold weather it closes easy. In warm weather I need to pull down on the center handle while engaging the canopy lock.

Back