What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electric Trim

PilotRPI

Finally ordering my tail kit early next week. For those with the Van's electric trim, do any of you wish you'd gone with manual trim?

Just learned today of a company Ray Allen that makes trim systems. Any reason to use theirs over the Van's system?

Thanks!

I started out with manual trim cable. Pain to get it pulled through and a pain to have it lying in the way when you are doing anything in the forward center tunnel (wiring or plumbing).

I changed to electric after going with the G3X glass panel and two axis auto-pilot. I wanted the auto-pilot to control trim. In addition the manual trim cable will occupy one of your center section pass-throughs. With all the wiring/plumbing for the IFR glass panel I needed that extra pass-through.

Haven't flown yet but installed the electric trim with stick control for easy adjustment. Other threads have covered the topic. Seems pitch trim is usually desirable but roll trim not as much. Now that autopilots can control trim, I see it being more desirable.

And, as mention above, Vans sells the same Ray Allen equipment.

Your next question will be whether or not to install the indicators that come with the kits. I'm not.

Back