What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyTec 149-NL vs 149-LSX Starter Cranky!

mantry

Well Known Member
In the past there was a discussion thread about the SkyTec 149-LSX starters being "CRANKY". That discussion is here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82174&highlight=149-NL

My RV-7, since I have bought it has this "CRANKY" start. Some have called it the BUMP to START, meaning the starter has trouble getting the prop through the first compression stroke. It has never failed to start but it isn't right in my mind that you need to try 3-6 times to get the starter to crank the prop through for the start.
I did the troubleshooting via the SkyTec instructions and even talked to the techs at SkyTec. As they mention, these PERM MAGNET starters need 11 Volts at least to the starter while it is starting and if you can't get 11 Volts to the starter while starting it is JUST NOT GOING TO PERFORM as it should. It didn't matter if it was hot or cold, low battery or right off the charger.

So here are some pics of my Old SkyTec 149-LSX starter mounted on my RV-7 with the O360 Engine.
14y0751.jpg

2wgreo3.jpg

And here is a video of it trying to start. I think the battery measured 12.4 Volts prior to this attempt:
https://youtu.be/R3URjpaJyfU

So in talking with SkyTec on the phone and also at Oshkosh they said that they will take my 149-LSX and give me a credit towards a new starter like the 149-NL. So I did the online RMA and had them send me the 149-NL. After taking the above video, I immediately removed the 149-LSX and mounted the 149-NL.

Here are some pics of the new SkyTec 149-NL started mounted on my RV-7 with the O360 Engine.
35i64iu.jpg

r7oht2.jpg

Note: I will put a rub bushing over the B+ lead going to the starter so it doesn't rub on the back housing.

And here is a video of it STARTING! Notice I left out the word "trying". This starter really spins the prop like it should be spun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pTj-Gsibqg

I would recommend if you have the 149-LSX and are having the BUMP to START Blues to order the 149-NL and you won't be sorry. Off the top of my head the price was $599 for new starter, less $305 credit for the 149-LSX plus some shipping both directions.

Thanks again to everyone at VAF! What a valuable resource!!!

I had exactly the same issue and solved it exactly the same way.

Love the new starter, and less battery drain too!

Don

NL Starter

As above I had the exact same symptoms but a quick call to Skytec and an NL starter was the solution. Never a problem starting since.

Oly

Same problem and same fix here, with my lightweight WW200RV prop it just couldn't get over the first compression stroke.

Great starter

I put the NL on my 390. I would also recommend it instead of the LS. The NL is only a pound or so heavier but a lot beefier. I had one LS crack the housing. The NL is stout!!

NL with snorkel query

I just had my lightweight Skytec starter 149-12LS develop a crack in its fwd housing. Has anyone installed the inline starter NL with the snorkel air intake on their RV7 or similar. Just wondering if there would need to be any mods to the already installed air intake originally fabricated to suit he 149-12LS starter.

now that is a short youtube video. i think i can do better because my rv starts on one blade cold and two blades hot. that has been my new technique for starting. when hot i pull the mixture about 2/3 out and crack the throttle. two blades on two trys and she is running. :)

now what is the problem with the unacceptable starter?

Fitting the NL starter as replacement for the 149-12LS

I have the same starting issues using the 149-12LS starter.......can't get past the first compression stroke and takes 3 or 4 tries to get it to turn over. My hanger neighbor who is an A&P/IA came and put a bunch of gauges on the starting circuit. With my resting battery showing 12.6 volts, when attempting to start the voltage at the battery dropped to 5.83 volts and at the starter the voltage was 2.5. The amperage was 458 amps whereas it should be around 200 amps. The mechanic said these readings indicated an almost dead short. All connections were checked with no looseness, corrosion, or lack of continuity. His conclusion was that the starter simply wasn't powerful enough (not enough torque) to turn over the engine.

I sent the starter back to SkyTec. They checked it out and said nothing was wrong with the starter, but suggested I upgrade to the NL model, which I did. When it arrived and I tried to install it I found that it would not fit. Because the solenoid is mounted in the back of the starter motor, instead of along side, the starter was longer and interfered with the F.I. throttle linkage. I have the horizontal fuel injection system sometimes called the "snorkel" system. There was no practical way to install the NL starter. I'm back to the 149-12LS model and hate it!

If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate them.

Is it true that the Skytec LS starter is now the Hartzell X series starter? It is getting hard to know what we are actually buying today with all the changes. Isn?t PP now, Hartzell as well?
Larry

I recently installed the NL on my engine with no problems. I have a Superior IO360 with horizontal induction and had no clearance issues. The LS starter usually took 2 or 3 tries to turn my engine when cold. The NL cranks it right over with no delay.
lXpawlV.jpg
k3563bp.jpg
ZbOLdBG.jpg

Last edited:
I just received my LN starter and it turns motor over much better than the NS model. No more problems on those cold mornings, but if your going to exchange it, do it now as Hartzell has bought out Sky Tec and they will no longer except exchanges after Dec 31, 2016.

I just received my LN starter and it turns motor over much better than the NS model. No more problems on those cold mornings, but if your going to exchange it, do it now as Hartzell has bought out Sky Tec and they will no longer except exchanges after Dec 31, 2016.

Don't wait, do it right now! The skytec shop will not accept cores after this Friday, December 16... They are packing up this weekend.

Rachelle told me that their sky-tec stuff is on the way to Hartzell, and their shop is going to be all about Sure Fly ignition systems now...

I have the same starting issues using the 149-12LS starter.......can't get past the first compression stroke and takes 3 or 4 tries to get it to turn over.

When it arrived and I tried to install it I found that it would not fit. Because the solenoid is mounted in the back of the starter motor, instead of along side, the starter was longer and interfered with the F.I. throttle linkage. I have the horizontal fuel injection system sometimes called the "snorkel" system. There was no practical way to install the NL starter. I'm back to the 149-12LS model and hate it!

Garry,

I think I have the same setup on my RV-8 as you. I'm using the SkyTec 149-LS and it starts like the video earlier in this thread, poorly if at all. I have a Bendix FI with snorkel. The linkage on the Bendix is as you described. I'm certain it would interfere with the longer SkyTec 149-NL starter.

Unfortunately, my linkage doesn't look like what "Redrock" is showing in post #13. Specifically:

ZbOLdBG.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Can anyone tell me if a Bendix FI linkage be setup like the photo above?

I have the same starting issues using the 149-12LS starter.......can't get past the first compression stroke and takes 3 or 4 tries to get it to turn over. My hanger neighbor who is an A&P/IA came and put a bunch of gauges on the starting circuit. With my resting battery showing 12.6 volts, when attempting to start the voltage at the battery dropped to 5.83 volts and at the starter the voltage was 2.5. The amperage was 458 amps whereas it should be around 200 amps. The mechanic said these readings indicated an almost dead short. All connections were checked with no looseness, corrosion, or lack of continuity. His conclusion was that the starter simply wasn't powerful enough (not enough torque) to turn over the engine.

I sent the starter back to SkyTec. They checked it out and said nothing was wrong with the starter, but suggested I upgrade to the NL model, which I did. When it arrived and I tried to install it I found that it would not fit. Because the solenoid is mounted in the back of the starter motor, instead of along side, the starter was longer and interfered with the F.I. throttle linkage. I have the horizontal fuel injection system sometimes called the "snorkel" system. There was no practical way to install the NL starter. I'm back to the 149-12LS model and hate it!

Had the same problem it seems. Using a off set mixture arm and following the manual to remove the unused tangs from the stater made it fit just fine. Larry

EarthX ETX680 Battery

I have the "Cranky" SkyTec 149-LSX starter issue when using a 18 month old Odyssey PC680 battery as illustrated in this video: https://youtu.be/R3URjpaJyfU

Before I go out and buy a new starter, is it possible that a more robust battery like the EarthX ETX680 might resolve the "Cranky" SkyTec starter issues I'm experiencing?

I would like to hear real world experiences from those of you using an EarthX ETX680 battery with a permanent magnet SkyTec starter. Does your permanent magnet starter start first try using the EarthX?

Last edited:
I have the "Cranky" SkyTec 149-LSX starter issue when using a 18 month old Odyssey PC680 battery as illustrated in this video: https://youtu.be/R3URjpaJyfU

Before I go out and buy a new starter, is it possible that a more robust battery like the EarthX ETX680 might resolve the "Cranky" SkyTec starter issues I'm experiencing?

I would like to hear real world experiences from those of you using an EarthX ETX680 battery with a permanent magnet SkyTec starter. Does your permanent magnet starter start first try using the EarthX?

I have the 149-LSX and recently bought a EarthX 680 battery. I have not seen any difference in getting my prop cranked any faster than with the PC680. My PC680 was in use for 7 years before I replaced it and it was in great condition when I replaced it. The only difference that I can measure is the weight saving on the EarthX. Also, I would be interested in upgrading my starter (have seen no issues so far with it) if I can get the same credit for my existing starter.

I have the 149-LSX and recently bought a EarthX 680 battery. I have not seen any difference in getting my prop cranked any faster than with the PC680. My PC680 was in use for 7 years before I replaced it and it was in great condition when I replaced it. The only difference that I can measure is the weight saving on the EarthX. Also, I would be interested in upgrading my starter (have seen no issues so far with it) if I can get the same credit for my existing starter.

I made the change to the earth-x for the same apparent problem, but have found the starter now never fails and turns faster...knock on wood. If I was not stuck at work I would go give it a good cold day test. ��

Update 07/27/2017. Have cranky starter...

Last edited:
Just tried out the new NL starter that I installed last week and it spins that prop like a top, and starts near instantly... what an improvement over the lighter one.

Back