What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

workshop space

Adam W

Well Known Member
Hello again

As I approach completion of my wings, and expect QB fuselage delivery in April Im questioning how to manage the space in my two car garage at that point
I have a 4x8 work table i have built for the project with inlayed back rivet plate and its been great. I also have two smaller benches at the sides that are the tops of tools chests. My question is

once the fuse arrives will i need the big table any longer? i notice the fuse seems to be set on saw horses in builder logs. will the two small benches suffice from that point on? getting rid of the big table at that point would really free up some room

I kept my big table through out the build, built the tail cone and then center section, that was when the car had to leave the two car garage. Then used three saw horses for the fuse build, it got long real fast.

Space

Adam: This is my two car garage. Work bench, tool box, band saw, storage shelving for parts to be installed along the wall. Then the fuse and wings. Tail feathers in a angle straps hanging from the ceiling above the retracted garage door. What's not in this picture is a solid core door that I put on folding legs that I use for assembly of larger items like the rudder. Have two freezers along the opposite wall.

It's cozy and you can pretty much kiss your garage goodbye except one can make room for one car oil changes, etc. on a temporary basis.

Engine%20Installation%2012_1.jpg

Wing stands

I made a vertical wing stand out of pVC pipe and wood out of the shipping crates. The stand with wings is only 2 feet wide. They have rollers so it's easy to move

Depending on your circumstances, wings, canopies, cowlings, and other airplane parts make nice decorative elements in various rooms of your house.

Sez the guy who was a bachelor when he built his RV-6...

Pieces Parts

Depending on your circumstances, wings, canopies, cowlings, and other airplane parts make nice decorative elements in various rooms of your house.

Yes, and the engine makes for a great conversation piece in the dining room....just ask my wife

Corner of the living room for about 2 1/2 years now. My wife doesn't especially enjoy flying, but she can't wait until she can fly in this plane:D:D

DA7B7984-10B2-4952-B4FC-D45115532C93.jpg

Adam,

I'm in the middle of the fuse build now. You don't really need a big bench for this construction. I bought 4 metal saw horses from HF to place the fuse on while it is in progress. They seem to work well. I needed 2 under the forward cockpit since it is too wide for a single sawhorse. More bench space is helpful but not required. I never seem to have enough. The largest pieces you will be dealing with are the aft and mid fuselage sub-assemblies. Nothing is nearly as big as a wing.

A lot of the fuse work is done sitting on the floor working up underneath the fuse. I bought a few of the HF moving blankets as padding for my old bones. HF has them on sale sometimes for about $4 each. Very handy.

Back