What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question Re: nut plates and Bolts

Adam W

Well Known Member
Hello all

ive prepared my gas tank attach Z brackets. the method im following to line them up with the baffle requires them to be bolted on to the spar and removed again. then bolted on at install time. ive noticed some say they buy hardware store bolts for this. is there any reason to not use the supplied AN3 hardware? is there a problem reusing the bolt or the installed nutplate for that matter? i have allready installed the nutplates on the Z brackets. i wouldnt think it a problem as its meant to be for servicing purposes for future.

and can anyone tell me the exact MEK product they are using with when dealing with proseal sessions. i went to order it and there is various MEK solvents.

thanks in advance

I'm not an expert, but....

I reused my bolts without ill effect. I had never heard anything about using different bolts and it doesnt seem to have had any ill effect.

As far as MEK. I used acetone. I heard MEK will eat the paint off the airplane where the rivets are if you dont have it completely removed prior to painting. But of course, thats just what I heard. I dont know if its true. Anyway, I used acetone and it appears to have worked just fine.

It's the Nuts

I don't know of any issues using the AN bolts themselves assuming you are careful in their installation and removal.

Depending on the specific nut or nutplate, some worry about wearing out the locking feature through repeated use. I personally think that is primarily an issue with nylon locking features. The standard nutplate (e.g. K1000) locking feature is accomplished by deforming the barrel of the nutplate slightly after manufacture.

Last edited:
Bolts

I used the same AN bolts for fitting but plan to replace them with new for final install.
MEK is MEK. However, it is not sold is some areas and other similar products are sold in place. I only used it to clean areas for proseal and to clean rivets before install. Everywhere else, I used lacquer thinner. Use a good respirator.

can anyone tell me the exact MEK product they are using with when dealing with proseal sessions. i went to order it and there is various MEK solvents.

I found standard Lowes or HomeDepot Lacquer Thinner to be the best product for pro-seal work. This is Lacquer Thinner, not Paint Thinner. A gallon is enough.

Carl

Only reason I can think of against re-using bolts in a nutplate is that every use removes a bit of the cad plating. This may mean more corrosion issues down the road.

Back