What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

how to start cowl fitting?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm looking for advice here. I want to start fitting my 9A cowl. I am going to use milspec fasteners.

My plan is to hang the core engine (case, crank only) so I can position the cowl correctly. I'll make a wood spinner backplate.

I saw on a builder log where you put a book on top the engine case and can then fit the top cowl first. Is this a good idea? Or try to fit top and bottom at the same time?

Also - do I make and fit the metal strips first? Help! It is for some reason hard to find builder logs anymore - many of the ones I used to use for reference are gone and lots of the VAF threads have lost their pictures. If anyone can give a pointer to help get me started I'd appreciate it. I'd love to get the ring of clecos around the firewall replaced with rivets... those are the last ones on the whole plane!

I plan to use a used / overhauled Sensenich 70CM69-0-79 which I think is right for my 160 HP RV-9A
Z87MEuOfUqwihOBhiaiJLWQbwBjSY7Yciz0Vjz-mQNez0alzOTDtwHG42TdcgP3yyMU5BkBa0W34rWUNOpUGnyDm6uJ8YY5Wq6kXpohKzTGjHpMW-ZJwz6AAcl7fhoen84HfGnii1qI1SdBaIIj7ihSwTF0VBjI23OiZGA8bAFwVlGTb_nLhXxa4svH7yk1hUSwdcMq9ikeWXjGS5IORYQuqnvu9r_btiUNr-0eCQTASG0O9zMoZuLjGOkt7eUCzhpwY8SjdydYFmYNfm-CQADjkl5saaCwZDf6PPVdJlX6uw50SD2QiUHJqOaK68nFTNLDtCR5vt7xvWXKGeCSRz_lKTeiTbiBdct7W9_a3bfzsdfHC6TTdlDC-DsbpPFsj1sXB3LHeK63Hohz8xSLufCkW3EYuyDwYpibSOGfDVA3b7f61ZRt8aj0jFx1rdLViAn5kaP4WwRA47RxPe6KHxkJjb68GrU3vT-E5Xtr_RiTMKbykAMN9g9ZryYqr9FuSq_sJjF7nvkkBxDRLofmzLcPxbdBMMLgN3gPHtedESp-XMRZjbkC_jMsN-qmZZSVvOS4hYekdUmicINKtksCnOOBXAwkZhobofuqrTTzr07cWIgcp=w800-h533-no

Dan beat me too it. I was searching for that thread. That is what I used and it was all I needed.

Jay

Back