What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data plate required information

rjcthree

Well Known Member
I'm generating a new plate for my experimental overhaul (by me, but using all Lycoming and yellow tagged parts). I have to generate a new data plate, but I don't want to get crazy with info. As I understand it, make, model, and serial are really all that need to be there, and it needs to match what's on my 8130-6 and 8050-88.

If data other than make/model/serial is required, please point me to it? Thanks. Rick.

Data plate

Sounds as if you are doing only an engine o/h if that is the case you use existing data plate unless you are doing something not certified i.e. Higher compression.
Jerry

But I'm not an a&up/ai, so I have to make a new experimental plate, right?

Since I'm just a builder, I have to take engine off its original cert, right? My searching and understanding of the FARS led me there. I might as well be putting a conversion on....once the engine goes decertified, it's anything but a Lycoming from PA? Rick.

Sounds as if you are doing only an engine o/h if that is the case you use existing data plate unless you are doing something not certified i.e. Higher compression.
Jerry

OK, if I add EI to a "non-certified build from YT parts" do I need to alter the existing Lycoming data plate in anyway?

Does it still get reported on the registration documents as a O-360-A1A?

OK, if I add EI to a "non-certified build from YT parts" do I need to alter the existing Lycoming data plate in anyway?

My bad. Since he was talking about "make, model, and serial number", I assumed he was talking about aircraft dataplate.
There is no dataplate requirement for experimental engine.

Thanks for sharing this Mel.

I'm converting an O-320-E2A to 160 HP, fuel injection. I will also be adding at least part of the constant speed hardware to the engine. I don't think Lyc ever built something exactly like this, but it will be close to a D model.

My plan was to put append a "C" for "conversion" to the engine model on the existing dataplate. Is that OK, or would removing it entirely be better?

My bad. Since he was talking about "make, model, and serial number", I assumed he was talking about aircraft dataplate.

Same question though...

Is it a 'Lycoming' engine, an 'EXP' engine or an 'Alexander' engine?

Same question though...

Is it a 'Lycoming' engine, an 'EXP' engine or an 'Alexander' engine?

It's whatever you want to call it. Once modified, Lycoming would prefer that you call it something else.

It's whatever you want to call it. Once modified, Lycoming would prefer that you call it something else.

Would that still be the case for basically non-modified but a non-certified build?

I'll probably fly it with 2 Slick mags before changing one to EI.

Would that still be the case for basically non-modified but a non-certified build?

I'll probably fly it with 2 Slick mags before changing one to EI.

I don't know the right answer but as a data point my engine started life as a Lycoming IO-540-C4B5. Barrett rebuilt it and installed an uncertified AFP FI system. With the exception of the FI, it's a stock motor. However, as delivered it became a BPE IO-540-X with a BPE data plate.

10 pionts to Mel

The way we a have always understood it is. If an engine is Type plated, in order to have that plate valid you most keep everything in that engine in order and configuration for that tag. If you change or modify that engine as to not conform to that tags authority, then that tag is no longer valid.
You don't have to have a true data plated engine on your RV, but it will help you if you have a matching prop to that tag, by lowering your phase one time to 25 hours, if you can show that to FSDO or whom so ever does your sing off. 40 hours if you don't have the pedigree established. When I fill out the forms for FSDO that ask for the serial number of the engine in an RV, we just put none in the box. They will ask you for the prop serial number, Make and type. I.E. Prince Aircraft-"Composite P tip" 69X79"-Sn# XXXXXXXX
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

The way we a have always understood it is. If an engine is Type plated, in order to have that plate valid you most keep everything in that engine in order and configuration for that tag. If you change or modify that engine as to not conform to that tags authority, then that tag is no longer valid.
You don't have to have a true data plated engine on your RV, but it will help you if you have a matching prop to that tag, by lowering your phase one time to 25 hours, if you can show that to FSDO or whom so ever does your sing off. 40 hours if you don't have the pedigree established. When I fill out the forms for FSDO that ask for the serial number of the engine in an RV, we just put none in the box. They will ask you for the prop serial number, Make and type. I.E. Prince Aircraft-"Composite P tip" 69X79"-Sn# XXXXXXXX
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Yes, but my last question has all of the engine bits in order and in configuration, just without the assembly paperwork to call it a certified Lycoming.

I know I'll get 40 hours since my Sensenich prop is stamped Experimental being a sale item from Ed Zercher with a 0.010 undersize hub.

Do I leave the Lycoming O-360-A1A plate on the sump?
Or remove it?
Or add a new plate with a new manufacturer?
Or add something to the existing plate?

And what do I put on the FAA paperwork?

Back