What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation clinic trip write up

Casey Stewart

Well Known Member
A few months back, my dad approached me and asked me if I wanted to spend a weekend in California. I was about to say "sure" when he told me that the weekend would be full of formation flying.

I was ecstatic to go and on last Thursday, we took off. The weather was pretty poor and required some scud running down to Eugene, OR. After popping up to 13,500 for a while and sucking the oxygen, we descended into Calaveras County for an overnight with family.

As we climbed towards Merced the next morning, there was a funny smell in the cockpit. We never did figure it out but it didnt return during the clinic. Landing in Merced was interesting with 25kt winds. Ground speeds were A LOT slower than we were used to on final approach!

After lunch was the flight for my dad to be cleared to fly solo. I rode with Spike, with my dad as two and Goose as Three.

My dad "Grumpy"
426.jpg

Goose
168.jpg

We recovered at Madera and checked into the hotel. That night we had the ground school with a hilarious visit from Carnack and presentations by Spike and Slick.

Part 2 to follow

Part Two

Day 2:

We started off the morning with the first clinic ran flight. This would also be the first time I rode with my dad while he was in formation. I was excited! We were assigned to Rodoc's flight, but as we taxied onto the runway, Rodoc had to call off the flight. As we taxied in behind him, his mazda rotary started spewing coolant and steam.

Number Three, Deuce, took over as lead and did a great job.

Deuce-
345.jpg

New Three, Jawbone
267.jpg

Getting to fly with my dad was a great experience. For that I really have to thank Bob "Nasty" Mills. Nasty is a great guy and he seemed to go out of his way to make my weekend memorable. He made sure I was a passenger on every flight and that I would fly off Sunday afternoon with a smile on my face. One of the ways he helped me enjoy the weekend was to take me upp with him while my dad (Grumpy), Jawbone, and Rodoc (who worked some magic and was up again) flew off of his wing making up Nasty Flight.

Nasty Flight-
403.jpg

Grumpy and Rodoc-
439.jpg

The last "normal" clinic flight was off Rodoc with Jim Piavis as Three

Rodoc, notice the leather flying cap-
470.jpg

Jim Piavis-
471.jpg

We decided to forgo a fourth optional flight to do some maintenance to the plane.

More to flollow

It was a pleasure to fly with you and your Dad.

You inserted yourself in every aspect of the clinic and never missed a bit including all of the training and briefs. You could tell you where having a great time with your Dad.
I must say in the 32 ship we put up yesterday, of all the prelim pics I have seen, Echo Flight looked sharp. Dula's lead was butter, Shorty held a solid slot, and I had it easy dressing off of you and your Dad.
Nice write up Casey.

"JJ"

Part Three

That night, Slick invited everyone over to Sierra Sky Park for a great dinner at his home. For the flight over, we were in Rosie flight. Marvin Scott was three and Steve Payne was Four.

Marvin-
489.jpg

Steve-
491.jpg

Lead, Rosie-
493.jpg

The food was great and it was a great night for everyone. A huge thanks to Slick for having everyone over.

Sundays whole purpose was the all up flight. 32 planes and 5 fly-bys. Two at Sierra Sky Park and Three back at Madera. My dad was Echo 2. At engine start, Goose had a bad starter solenoid. Some quick thinking and Cougar was now Hotel 2.

Raven flight on the runway-
508.jpg

Echo 1, Dula-
516.jpg

Echo 3, JJ-
509.jpg

Echo 4, Randy-
510.jpg

Spike and Nasty
511.jpg

Somke on! Cougar and Nasty-
517.jpg

518.jpg

The end

Alpha through Charlie-
531.jpg

Delta and Echo-
532.jpg

Foxtrot through Hotel-
533.jpg

Again, a HUGE thanks to everyone there especially those who planned and ran the clinic. It was a great experience and I hope to see everyone soon!!!

This is what Rosie Flight looked like from the ground when they arrived at Sierra Skypark for the BBQ. (E79)
Rosie_Flight_arriving_BBQ.jpg

Here is the group photo taken after the 32-Ship All Up. (Photo taken by Diane)
Group_Photo.jpg

I have three short clips of Carnac that I took from the back of the room on YouTube. Will post a link AFTER I get permission to do so.

I did not take the following but here are a few shots from the All Up.

Diamonds_of_Diamonds.jpg

The above is two 16-ship Diamond of Diamonds in Trail. Total 32 RV aircraft.

Diamonds_In_Trail_2.jpg

Diamonds in Trail. Eight flights of 4 in Trail. Total 32 RV Aircraft.

2_Loose_Diamonds.jpg

Loose Diamonds in Trail. (not very good but it is the first time the group flew this shape together)

JJ- It was great meeting you and flying with you too. Hope to do so again soon.

Condor- Cant wait to see those videos and Thank You for posting those pictures. Everyone looks great!

Nice write up Casey, and it was great to have you aboard...both the clinic and the plane! :)

Great pics, and great story! (pssst...just remember, never admit to a "funny smell" in the cockpit when flying with your Dad...it could lead to a new call sign for him!) :p

Go get that Eagle Scout, and then go get your Student Pilot Cert! :D

Cheers,
Nasty

Casey,
it was great to met you. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for the trip report.

Great pics, and great story! (pssst...just remember, never admit to a "funny smell" in the cockpit when flying with your Dad...it could lead to a new call sign for him!) :p

Dont worry, I got as close as I dared to his seat to sniff it:eek:. Wasnt that. Plus were guys, we claim that stuff:p

Back