VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Honda 1.8L running on test stand video

For those of you who enjoy the building part of this hobby, especially the engine side of things, I thought I would post a link to a short video I made of my "alternative" engine set up.

It is Honda R18 Civic engine. 1.8L. This engine is extremely common. It is in current production and has been around for 10 years in various Honda cars. It is a standard port fuel injection and COP Coil on Plug ignition. It has many advanced features like individual oil injected pistons and many other features.

I am also using the Viking Aircraft Engine PSRU (gearbox) and a 68" tapered Warp drive prop. I am very impressed with the Viking gearbox.

One of the features of this set up that I really like is the SDS EFI system. This is a fantastic engine controller. There are over 1500 planes flying with the SDS EFI system. It is a very complete, and flexible, and easy system to install. It manages your fuel injection as well as your ignition system - all easily user programmable.

https://youtu.be/7iHC4tpZxq4

I am not flying with this yet. I have an RV6a airframe done. I will need to build the engine mount and then work on the panel, and other finish work. I have a full time job so who knows when Ill be flying.

Feel free to ask questions.

Charlie Rosenzweig
Longview, Wash.

Last edited by charosenz : 03-12-2018 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:41 AM

Default Honda engine

looks like a very interesting project. What sort of horse power do you expect out of it? The SDS system looks very nice.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM

Very interesting indeed. Brings back memories of the CAM100 engine.

Will be even more interesting to see how the Viking gearbox holds up. I hate to say it but I think Jan is still having his customers do his development testing for him. I really hope this isn't the case here.

Don't ya just love how the engine starts and runs so smoothly?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Great job Charlie. Very cool project. Make sure you give us more updates as your testing continues.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Seeing that R18 engine brought back many good memories of tinkering around with the B-series engines of the 90's and 2000's

I still have an old Acura Integra as my beater car, that has a B18A engine in it...with over 357k miles on it.
Wing Kit Started - June 2017
My Build Log: http://www.theskunkwerx.com

VAF Donation paid for 2017
Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Very interesting indeed. Brings back memories of the CAM100 engine.

Will be even more interesting to see how the Viking gearbox holds up. I hate to say it but I think Jan is still having his customers do his development testing for him. I really hope this isn't the case here.

Don't ya just love how the engine starts and runs so smoothly?
Yes, this engine starts and runs like a sewing machine. I am very impressed.

I am very familiar with Jan's past, I began building my RV6a in the late 90s and I have been active in EAA every since.

I am very happy with Jan's support and I am very impressed with this gearbox. Sure, he does improve things as he progresses but I cannot fault him for that.

I am very glad we live in a country where vendors including Vans, Jan and SDS are not so hamstrung with regulations that there is nothing innovative ever brought to the free market. I say - let me decide if I want to accept the risks with experimental aviation airframes, engines and gearboxes.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 AM

I'm glad to hear you are getting good support from Jan and that you have high confidence in the gearbox, and hope it continues that way.

It will be interesting to watch the rest of your installation evolve. Radiator and radiator placement, exhaust, and whether you stick with normally-aspirated or eventually add a turbo. You certainly got off to a good start by choosing ignition and fuel delivery systems that can adapt to whatever changes you might wish to make as you move forward.

Please do keep posting news of your progress. Frankly, I'm looking forward to watching the video of your first Honda-powered flight! :-)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longline View Post
looks like a very interesting project. What sort of horse power do you expect out of it? The SDS system looks very nice.
The engine in stock configuration is 140 HP at about 6300 WOT.

I show just under 300lbs all up weight including the coolant. But this does not include the radiator.

I do really like the SDS system. WWW.SDSEFI.com

Last edited by charosenz : 03-14-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 PM

As the O.P. I would like to respectfully ask that those who simply want to debate whether certified engines are better than non-certified engines to please start their own thread. I will join you over there.

I do not want to lose people who are interested in what I am doing

I welcome others to ask questions and share their ideas and projects that are similar.

Whether you want to fly an experimental airframe, with or without an experimental engine - more power to you!

I will continue to post updates and information on my project, as long as there is interest.

I do plan to do some testing with a turbocharger because I think it makes a lot of sense especially for this engine, on this airframe. This engine is unique in that it has a integral (read internal) exhaust "manifold" that results in a single exhaust opening. This saves weight, space and of course makes for a very easy turbo installation.

I will post pictures later this weekend, at least of the exhaust port and stainless adapter with the T-25 flange profile.

Right now I am using different pitch settings on my prop to find the best pitch for max power. I love how easy the warp drive prop is to change pitch. I have only taken it up to 5000 rpm and had to stop there as the torque started to rotate the whole engine stand. It is very stout, built with 2x6" and it is 4 feet wide, but it is on wheels so I can easily roll it in and out of the shop to run. I have built an "out-rigger" on it so it will be more stable at higher RPM......

Charlie

Last edited by charosenz : 03-15-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 AM

Keep up the good work Charlie and if you'd like some help in matching a turbo, I'd be happy to help.

Let's try to keep this thread on topic and positive please.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 03-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.