What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Options, Lights, sound proofing and lots of Questions

JoeB

Well, I am back from a long trip and have about 2 weeks before another 6 Month TDY so I am trying to take this opportunity to organize my purchases so when I get home in August I can build at full steam.

I have a few questions so I hope I can get some input from those of you who have already travelled this road.

Before I start with the questions, just to let you know where I am at in the build, I just received my QB Fuse, and my wings are ready for wiring and the bottom skins.

For the questions.

1. Where in the world do we actually start the QB Fuse, I am reading the instructions and there doesn't seem to be a very clear "HEY DO THIS" tagline

2. Foam insulation for sound proofing/insulation, did you use it? Is it worth the weight? Where/what did you buy?

3. WINGS: Landing and Position lights, What gauge wire is required, what recommendations for lights do you all have? Where to purchase lights/supplies

4. WINGS: I ordered the Dynon Heated Pitot with AOA, The original VANS plans only have the pitot line, where/how did you run the AOA tube?

4.5 WINGS: Bob Archer Antenna ? Or ?

5. For the Fuselage, where do we purchase the more desired Modifications?
Such as the Steel Heater box, the Step block modification

6. Any other "must haves" you would recommend at this point in the build?

Again thank you in advance, my project has suffered a HUGE slow down thanks to life........baby, new house, deployments, I know I can't get much done in my 2 weeks but when I get home I want to be able to crush this build and get this airplane flying in 24 months from Aug.

Joe

Last edited:
1. QB guys sometimes skip stuff. You need to take some time, and go thru every step of the slow build manual, and note what was or was not done, satisfactorily.
2. You choose, less weight or more insulation? I went with less weight.
3. Wire gauge depends on current draw, which depends on lights chosen. these days most are chosing LEDs.
4. I used nylon tubing. Tubing and wire bought from Stein.
5. I have an Archer nav antenna, works okay for me. An external V might be a bit better.

3. If you're doing your own wiring, get the Aeroelectric Connection book (available for free download, or around $30 for a printed copy) and read it, before attempting any electrical work.

Charlie

For the pitot static, and AOA lines use the ATP Surethane 1/4" lines which you can buy very cheaply from Amazon. It is available in multiple colours and is the same stuff Cleaveland Tools sells in their kits. It is pliable and very nice to work with.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATP-Surethane...UTF8&qid=1548429311&sr=8-1&keywords=surethane

As for running it in the wings, I put two lines (AOA and Pitot) into a PET sleeve and ran it in the upper J channel stiffener (after putting a small piece (~1") of caterpillar grommet along the one sharp edge of the rib). I got the idea from a fellow builder and I am really happy with the way it turned out . The rest of the wiring is in a conduit placed in the usual channel (holes drilled in the ribs for that purpose).

Get the step bushing from TCW Tech.

i used the Aeroled VX Sun and Pulsars and are happy with the lights but modifying the wing tip with a new insert is a PITA because I'm finding the lens is a bit difficult to fit properly without having to build up the edges. For the price of the lights, I think if I had to do it again I would spend the extra money and go with the Aveo ZipTips.

Last edited:
For the pitot static, and AOA lines use the ATP Surethane 1/4" lines which you can buy very cheaply from Amazon. It is available in multiple colours and is the same stuff Cleaveland Tools sells in their kits. It is pliable and very nice to work with.

https://www.amazon.ca/ATP-Surethane...UTF8&qid=1548429311&sr=8-1&keywords=surethane

As for running it in the wings, I put two lines (AOA and Pitot) into a PET sleeve and ran it in the upper J channel stiffener (after putting a small piece (~1") of caterpillar grommet along the one sharp edge of the rib). I got the idea from a fellow builder and I am really happy with the way it turned out . The rest of the wiring is in a conduit placed in the usual channel (holes drilled in the ribs for that purpose).

Get the step bushing from TCW Tech.

i used the Aeroled VX Sun and Pulsars and are happy with the lights but modifying the wing tip with a new insert is a PITA because I'm finding the lens is a bit difficult to fit properly without having to build up the edges. For the price of the lights, I think if I had to do it again I would spend the extra money and go with the Aveo ZipTips.

Randy,

Do you have any pictures of how that looked ?

Also everyone thanks for the input thus far

Joe

2. I insulated from firewall to baggage bulkhead; cost me about 25 pounds. Several people have told me it is the quietest -10 they have ever been in. Still way too noisy to fly without good noise cancelling headsets.

If I was doing it again, I would skip the insulation, save the weight and the money.

2. I insulated from firewall to baggage bulkhead; cost me about 25 pounds. Several people have told me it is the quietest -10 they have ever been in. Still way too noisy to fly without good noise cancelling headsets.

If I was doing it again, I would skip the insulation, save the weight and the money.

I took Jim's advice years ago and I still think it's good advice. No extra insulation in my 10, other than the headliner material, carpet on the floor and side panels. Put the pounds where you can use them! :)

See DanH's postings about firewall insulation.

The light vendors, in their installation drawings, generally recommend a wire size.

Use the Van's static ports for best static source performance.

Study the various postings on VAF. There's a world of information there

Dave
RV-3B, slow build

Searching by Thread

Kyle,

I don't search per-se. If you look at the top of your browser, the address bar has the web address of the thread you are viewing. In the case of Joe's thread (this one) it is 1319806. Simply replace that number with the number of the desire thread and hit enter on your keyboard.

I don't want to start thread drift, but.... ..I am interested in "What I would do differently if I could go back in time" threads. I have tried searching through bing with numerous variants of "What I would do differently site:vansairforce.com" with no luck. If you know of some (-10 related), please let me know via PM or this thread.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Back