What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No break on leading edge skin

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
I did what I hate the most and made the same mistake twice. The plans do not call out to break the aft edges of the leading edge skins and I dimpled the skins before it hit me that I probably should have done that. My tool I got that saved me wont work on this skin (the holes are too close to the edge of the skin).

So should I just leave it alone?

I have only needed to break the edges on overlapping sheets. Butted sheets, which I think yours are (sorry, no -14 plans but all the earlier models were like this), don't really need it. On my -6A, as I set the final row of rivets I used a large mushroom set and let it migrate slightly toward the butt joint at each rivet pair. I can find the joint with a fingernail but I can run my finger across it without snagging. Build on.

Edge_Rolling_Tools.jpg

If you own the tool on the right, you may try the edge roller on the left. Avery Tools has them.
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1042

Good to know. Thanks guys.

Can you tell me why the fuel tanks are seamed? Is it because it is screwed down rather than riveted?

Back