What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNX345 traffic & weather display on iPad

garrys

I have a GNX345/GTN650/FlightStream510 recently installed. I get traffic and weather on the 650, and on my iPad/Foreflight, but not on my Grand Rapids EFI
S. Of course the 650 screen is too small to be useful for traffic and weather, so I rely on my larger screens for this. If the GNX345 can export to iPad/Foreflight, why can't it export to the Grand Rapids EFIS? The Grand Rapids gave me some mumbo jumbo technical stuff none of which I understood.
Can anyone explain in plain english?

My guess would be that it involves an agreement between Foreflight and Garmin...and is proprietary in nature.

If the GNX345 can export to iPad/Foreflight, why can't it export to the Grand Rapids EFIS? Can anyone explain in plain english?

Sam has it right.

The Grand Rapids EFIS is not a compatible display for the Garmin GTX345 traffic and WX protocol.

Compatible displays include:

G500/G600/G1000, GTN Series, GNS WAAS Series, Output for GMX 200/MX20, aera 660/796/795, iPhone?/iPad?, Android?.

I use the Garmin GTX 345 with the Area 660. It works very well. Provides aural and visual alerts for altitude, weather, traffic, SUA, fuel...

I find the ipad with Foreflight to be unreliable as a primary. The ipad gets hot and shuts down. The screen goes dark.

Above explanations are correct. Some companies try to keep their software secret (?closed system?). Others share their software (?open system?). GRT tends to be ?open?; its equipment works with most others which have open systems. Garmin and Foreflight tend to be closed (with some exceptions, one of which is that they share some software with each other). So many products cannot be used with ?closed? systems from other manufacurers.
Some companies have reverse-engineered other company?s closed software, so they can gain access.

The lowest cost compatible solution for traffic and weather on a Grand Rapids EFI is Stratux/Raspberry Pi from $94.00 for a DYI to $330.00 for pre-built.

Charlie - what is used to communicate from the PI to the GRT? USB? Work on an EX? Thanks.

Back