VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Default Finished RV-12

Finished my RV-12 after 3 1/2 years. She flies very well. 40 hours flown off and enjoying the sky.
https://www.facebook.com/budfrazerv1...type=3&theater
Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 AM

Congratulations! Very nice plane! Is that a ULPower engine? How does the performance compare to a Rotax?

VAF donation made for 2019
Old 02-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Yes, it's a UL 260iS. Performance is about equal to the carb rotax. I have flown one that a friend arranged. I'm at 4,680' here at Libby Field in SE Arizona so the DA can get pretty extreme, I've seen 9,000 here in June. She will climb out with two fat boys at 500-700 fpm depending on the temp. With just me she climbs out at 900-1,100 fpm.

Another builder in Brentwood, CA installed the UL350iS and he can exceed VNE in level flight. If I had it to do all over again I would go with that engine for flying in the mountains here. All of the 172's around here have the large engine mod and the larger Cessna's have turbo normalized systems.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budlite View Post
Yes, it's a UL 260iS. Performance is about equal to the carb rotax. I have flown one that a friend arranged. I'm at 4,680' here at Libby Field in SE Arizona so the DA can get pretty extreme, I've seen 9,000 here in June. She will climb out with two fat boys at 500-700 fpm depending on the temp. With just me she climbs out at 900-1,100 fpm.

Another builder in Brentwood, CA installed the UL350iS and he can exceed VNE in level flight. If I had it to do all over again I would go with that engine for flying in the mountains here. All of the 172's around here have the large engine mod and the larger Cessna's have turbo normalized systems.
Has anyone installed the UL 350i model yet, at 118 HP? The weight of the two big boys, combined, and how close are you to the 1320 max gross weight? I ask, because I too am at 250, and buddy is at 215.

The UL260IS makes yours an E AB build, due to changing the motor, versus a E-LSA, for insurance purposes?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-12-2019 at 09:38 AM.