What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Difference between van?s RV14 stick and Tosten?

Yes they are shorter, Tosten grips on the original Vans sticks becomes to long. It is possible to shorten them yourselves...
Undoubtedly one would need to cut it and this is what you get if you buy the stick and grip combination from VANs. If you don?t cut it short, you will definitely run into some limitation of stick movement that will hit the panel but cutting it is easy.

I haven?t progressed that far in my build....what is the configuration of the stock grip delivered with the kit?

I haven?t progressed that far in my build....what is the configuration of the stock grip delivered with the kit?

The standard kit includes just the bare stick. The grip used is up to the builder to choose.

The Tosten sticks are a good option since they are pre-wired and ready to install.

What Scott said. The Tosten grip is prewired and plugs into the standard fuselage harness. It has a flap switch, elevator/aileron trim switch, and an autopilot cut-off switch, along with the "pull" to talk radio/guns trigger. Fits great and the wiring is painless. :cool:

My sticks were not predrilled. The ?socket? they fit into is predrilled and I had to match drill the sticks.

My sticks were not predrilled. The ?socket? they fit into is predrilled and I had to match drill the sticks.
That's true of the Van's sticks that come with the kit. Is it also true of the Tosten sticks? The sockets are already in my plane and I really do not want to remove them or try to match drill the sticks with the sockets in place. It was hard enough to put those things in before the side skins went on.

That's true of the Van's sticks that come with the kit. Is it also true of the Tosten sticks?

I have Tosten sticks I got from Van’s. I don’t have my plans here, but I believe I match drilled the sticks on the bench, before installing the matching pieces in the airplane. I did not drill them in the plane. Sorry.

Back