What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

360 Intake Tube Compatibility??

mandorfer

Does anyone know how different the intake tubes are for an angled valve IO-360 (Lycoming P/N?s 78741, 2, 3, 4) vs the intakes tubes on an IO-360-M1B (Lycoming P/N?s 42E22611, 2, 3, 4 )? I have a B1E (parallel valve / rear facing sump) that I am overhauling and need to convert it for a fwd facing sump for my RV7. I know the angled valves engines and the M1B use the same sump, but I am guessing that if I buy a used sump off an angled valve the tubes will not work on my parallel valve with the same sump. I know I can buy the superior cold air sump with tubes, but am trying to save some money. Thanks.

Does anyone know how different the intake tubes are for an angled valve IO-360 (Lycoming P/N?s 78741, 2, 3, 4) vs the intakes tubes on an IO-360-M1B (Lycoming P/N?s 42E22611, 2, 3, 4 )? I have a B1E (parallel valve / rear facing sump) that I am overhauling and need to convert it for a fwd facing sump for my RV7. I know the angled valves engines and the M1B use the same sump, but I am guessing that if I buy a used sump off an angled valve the tubes will not work on my parallel valve with the same sump. I know I can buy the superior cold air sump with tubes, but am trying to save some money. Thanks.

IIRC, If it would help to modify your sump from a rear facing to a front facing, I think this company did the conversion.

http://www.divcoinc.com/

It's been a long time since I did the research, but I *think* that the angle valve tubes are about 1/4" 'shorter' where they meet the head to allow for the larger profile of the angle valve heads. Pretty sure I've seen people use a spacer to make up the difference when using angle valve tubes on a parallel valve engine.

If you're interested, I've got a rear-inlet sump that's been converted to forward-facing, for a parallel valve engine, and I'm pretty sure I have the tubes as well. I bought it to convert a rear facing sump engine, but plans changed. I think I paid around $450 for it.

Charlie

edit: Again, IIRC, some of the rear facing sumps ('C' suffix engines?) also have the tube exits from the sump too far aft to clear some RV motor mounts. The one I have has the tubes exiting in the 'typical' location.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. That confirms what I have heard. I am picking up a sump and tubes tomorrow and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the info. That confirms what I have heard. I am picking up a sump and tubes tomorrow and will see how it goes.

If you need new intake tubes and want to save a few dollars over Lycoming new, contact Clint at Vetterman. He will custom fab some for you for something like $75 each. Fits right up and no need for spacer. That is what I did going from AV to PV cylinders during my engine rebuild.

Hi0WDPbl2PQSafQ0OmMvCl7n26KfRoKuKcoF0uSUNiNzoP4NEK8vncwv_3Pfy1MjgO5Ad7VJA2qHb7u6CvybmyVudToVdhN8455gJKfGX13KWowGSUHggg2VoAcskjBiYqAw3Y01E4RSjF7hr--rB5v6f09wlvCYD21Di-oFInuA6i3ihP0GLazscRj_EjBg4CQMMHPVZ8eXSgX6jUs8EggDBJo2ivxrF0flyvayi1HWXUGxch9HZgzUHN_Qtr0-PmPvIt61DbMSTNWfbEzu_hFUPgJ72iCp4iodmf2PT1VqpA_NDwhDTm9T8bNNIdJLAohXPl804C7tadBYHZdFmDAoP6sOoi0zU2wFMPj28XlQgRSochRJRXC8uaPAb80cJekrf2kxqfWbtKK-JEjQDXj661uTJ2ysZ7ibyDQ6KYS2jZB5oUwkil-eU_NTLFvotU-oJYNm86MHxKRmnHocc0LZjfkEcHGHWFj4nR1Pu8X0SQJls9Uc0zRKhOV5sTGz3f7Pql5FPbG9gMczw_kHJZfYMJi9SqYL-JmcEb7UWIyRyzP2T-xguxQ3riKRB3jBGyt7TatsaH99NaeRAPAo_hsv1JAS0OM2olk3MewSANb_2-nJRLZy-MqyT55tlYpzUOp7e02QP-J5RFxAyjZ0e4UU2-SeXwQ=w1263-h710-no

Last edited:
If you need new intake tubes and want to save a few dollars over Lycoming new, contact Clint at Vetterman. He will custom fab some for you for something like $75 each. Fits right up and no need for spacer. That is the what I did going from AV to PV cylinders during rebuild.

Good call. Speaking to Clint is what made me decide to go ahead with the plan. I initially called to see if I would have any exhaust tube interference issues and he was familiar with what I was trying to do on the intake side. He gave me a few options, one of which were the new tubes you mentioned. They look well made. I'll probably go that route.

Back