What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Oshkosh

Berchmans

Well Known Member
I am planning of flying to Oshkosh from Anchorage. I am taking the highway route down to Oregon first to visit family just outside of Portland, Oregon. I plan on departing from Aurora airport likely on Sunday or Monday the 27th or 28th of July. I was wondering if anyone who has made the trip has suggestions on a route and stopping points from Aurora to Osh?

I flew last year from Portland. Mullan pass crossing the mountains in Idaho, we stopped in Missoula, then Aberdeen South Dakota (great FBO there), straight on over from there to OSH. Easy flight and fun.

If you want more scenic, heading north once in Montana to Glacier National Park (NE of Kalispell) and taking a northern route looks pretty nice and is likely what we will do this year. If you want to see a few things on a southerly route, Devil's Tower Wyoming and nearby Mt. Rushmore as quick fly-by's. If you're into Harleys, stop in Sturgis right after M. Rushmore.

And if convective weather over the big ID/ MT rocks is a problem, head to the south through Twin Falls, then Scottsbluff, NE and back direct OSH. In our fast little airplanes, the deviation isn't a big deal. Last year I went north through Kalispell, MT, then over the northern route. You have a lot of options and all have something to see.

If you need anything I hangar at Crete, NE near Lincoln (KCEK, KLNK). I would be glad to help with over night stay, fuel, repairs, what ever you need. OSH is an easy flight (2.5 hours) from here. I like to leave an hour before sun rise and cross Ripon at 7:30 am.

PM me for my phone number, just in case. :D

Last edited:
Back