What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight Simulator?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
From the collective intelligence and experience of the group, I pose the following - which flight simulator you all would recommend for flight simulation use for a person who is training for a Private of Sport Pilot Certificate?

This would be use to 'simulate' flying from one area or airport to another area or airport. Using nav aids, frequencies, airport information, etc. Any suggestions are welcome - thanks.

Flight simulator X

Flight simulator x, by Microsoft games.

It is a real good tool to get started at home and be ahead of the game when it comes to actual training. It has training for new wannabe pilots, well worth it.

Microsof X. Its great. Too bad they are no longer supporting it. Still, the final product is excellant and will help you a lot.

+1 for FSX. The only way to learn to handle an aircraft better is through real life practice, but I found FSX is brilliant for learning procedures, practicing drills, and IFR practice. And it's cheap :)

We use Microsoft FSX in our cadet ROTC training program. The Cessna 172 model in the program has been highly developed and as far as desktop flight simulation goes, it is probably still the best primary training model out there.

I pre-flew all my lessons on FSX, and reflew anything I had trouble with after. You can take off and land at your own airport, the taxiways will all be correct and so will all the highways for vfr navigation.

I'm surprised there's no love for X-Plane, especially since it's quite a bit newer than FSX. Out of curiosity, those that have tried both, do you still recommend FSX?

I'm surprised there's no love for X-Plane, especially since it's quite a bit newer than FSX. Out of curiosity, those that have tried both, do you still recommend FSX?

We evaluated both systems. Hands down, FSX had the best flight model (C-172) for private pilot training. I would say it was a push between the two as far as video fidelity goes. I would give X the edge for program optimization with respect to the user's cpu system. X provided a more comprehensive list of programmable wx options. I liked the navigation maps with X better perhaps giving it the edge with respect to cross country applications. The nav and com radio interface with both programs were about a push. The functionality of the FSX C-172 cockpit was more comprehensive, i.e., more switches, instruments, and gauges that actually worked. The flight dynamics of the FSX C-172 was more accurate.

For my personal enjoyment, I would prefer X. For student pilot training, FSX would be my choice application with more than adequate cross country functionality for the VFR student pilot.

Last edited:
Aircraft Options

If you don't like the default C-172, the A2A C-172 has more accurate flight performance, and if you want an RV, Baytower publishes a niceRV-7/ -7A for use with FSX/ P3D.

Is there somewhere else to get the RV add on from Baytower? The website seems to have disappeared. :mad:

My opinion is as follows as I have flown all the flight simulators: FSX is probably the best but is EXTREMELY buggy operating on newer OS's. When I ran it on XP it performed flawlessly. Once I added it to my new, higher powered Windows 7 computer I ended up with all sorts of performance issues. I finally have enough power to drive the graphics wide open, but with frequent blue screens and computer crashes it takes all the fun out of it.
X-Plane 10 works flawlessly on the newer OS's, however, the flight modeling is not even close to accurate. Plus, the interface is more complex also taking the fun out of it.
I think the market is charged for a newer flight simulator to enter the market. Lockheed Prepar3d is probably the best choice at this point for overall graphics and functionality.
Anyways, good luck with your choices.

Hi N366KH,
My website,Baytower.ca, is back online again :)
You can get the RV7 for FSX here... www.baytower.ca
Sorry for the delay.
Danny

Danny,
Interesting to find you on here. There is no way to contact you regarding your product on your website. I had product issues and posted on your forum as requested and never heard from you.
Having paid good money for your product and then not receiving service when the product did not perform as designed is frustrating. I will agree with others and say it is a fabulous model BUT I am having issues with it that have not been addressed.

Flight Sim

Just remember you are training for VFR so when you get in the real thing, get your head up and eyes outside. I spent time on a sim prior to flight training and my CFI beat me up about looking at the panel too much. Learn good stick and rudder skills. The procedures will be easy.

Pleased with FSX

I downloaded FSX and the Baytower RV7 program late last year on my windows 7 home edition laptop (nothing special). I bought a 30$ joystick at Best Buy and I have been having a ball! I have less than 100$ in the deal. I have flown the RV7 to Oshkosh twice practicing up for the real trip someday. It does not work flawlessly but is still good. I did not have any issues installing anything. I have put off buying a new laptop because I am afraid FSX will not work well on it.

More

I have owned every version of MS Flight Sim since the very first one. I would buy them, try to run them using the keyboard only, get frustrated and quit. Then, when I started flight training for real my CFI told me Flight Sim is great but get the yoke and pedals. Voila! I bought the CH products yoke and pedals, which connect via USB. There was a C172 on Flight Sim X that was virtually the same as the one I was training in. With the photorealistic scenery it really helped me advance in flight training - my instructor even noticed it and it also helped a lot with the instrument rating.

One other thing nobody has mentioned: get Microsoft Flightsim X DELUXE. IIRC the Deluxe edition includes an ATC component that really helped me learn phraseology. Last time I checked you could get MS FS X Deluxe for $30-35 on amazon. You can find the CH yoke and pedals lots of places. I would steer away from the Saitek stuff. I heard bad things about them but have had no trouble with my CH gear. I haven't run MS FS X Deluxe on a newer OS but as someone else pointed out it worked great on XP.

My$0.02

FSX update needed

I agree that Flight Sim X is a great program for training and practicing. I have it running quite well on all the aircraft with the "6 pack" panel up, but problems appear when I try to run the G1000 panel. Try it, you'll like it.

It surely would be nice if some capable party were to take enough interest in this old program to fix it so that it runs well with later Windows programs...

I am building a Lear45 sim.... it currently uses FlightSim X, but I will transition it to Lockheed Martins Prepar3d.
Several reason, but the main one is LM are still developing/updating it.
Prepar3d is based on MS FlightSim ESD (the commercial version of MS FlightSIm) and is compatible with many FlightSim models/add-ons.
Well worth a look

Dovetail

Recently, Dovetail Games out of the UK announced an agreement to license FSX/ Flight code from Microsoft, after a lengthy period of time since Flight was cancelled. Apparently, the plan is to prop FSX out to Steam for downloads just as they do with Train Simulator. Not only did they make the core Rail sim available, but they make available a sizable collection of DLC (Down-Loadable Content). So it's within reason that they may try the same with the 8-year-old FSX product, while trying to generate enough revenue to create FS 11. A major update to FSX is a pricy proposition and not to be taken lightly, especially with a new team that may not have experience with the spaghetti code that is Flight Sim.

LM P3D (formerly MS ESP), is in v2.2 with a new Beta out there. Although LM is continuing to update, underneath it's primarily the same code base with 20 years of development effort baked into the platform. V2.2 does look promising, but the EULA prohibits "entertainment" use by the general public (education and commercial use only).

So it's looking like X-Plane is really a major choice, considering its 64 bit (which can take advantage of the larger memory that exists on our machines now days, among other things), still being actively developed, accurate flight characteristics, etc.

There are many video's on YouTube which look at both sims as well as comparisons between the two. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

I've ordered MS Flight Sim Gold and have X=Plane 9 (will probably upgrade to 10). I definitely think you need the rudder pedals along with the joy stick. X-Plane can be complicated to setup.

Bob

I am building a Lear45 sim.... it currently uses FlightSim X, but I will transition it to Lockheed Martins Prepar3d.
Several reason, but the main one is LM are still developing/updating it.
Prepar3d is based on MS FlightSim ESD (the commercial version of MS FlightSIm) and is compatible with many FlightSim models/add-ons.
Well worth a look

My sources told me that LM spent several $million updating FSX and regularizing the intellectual property licensing of the sim models. One restriction is that Prepared is licensed for non-entertainment uses only, so you can use it but you must not have any fun.

Sounds very serious.

My sources told me that LM spent several $million updating FSX and regularizing the intellectual property licensing of the sim models. One restriction is that Prepared is licensed for non-entertainment uses only, so you can use it but you must not have any fun.

Sounds very serious.

Yes, as pilots we all take our flying very seriously indeed!:rolleyes::D

I find Prepar3d is a good platform for "semi-professional" market where its used as an educational aid and for recency/type training.....which is why I'm building my sim, and which is what the OP sounded like he needed?

As has been said, so long as you don't have fun with it, and agree to the EULA, it seems a good product, one that makes use of todays PC systems better than FS-X....

... but for a simple cheap solution, FS-X works..

Can't download it

So I purchased and downloaded this amazing aircraft in 2014 and immediately started building hours on the 7A....I briefly put my hobbies on pause and in 2015 my hard drive failed, I have the proof of purchase email and purchase number still from Flight1 but when I try download the package from the BT site I get a trojan warning error - what do I do? Flight1 doesn't list the package anymore either. :eek::mad::mad:

Back