What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overnight before OSH

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am flying from the NW to OSH, it is my first time flying into OSH and plan on a Saturday or Sunday early AM arrival. I am looking for an airport to overnight prior to getting to OSH that is 1 to 1.5 RV hours from OSH. Obviously I need a hotel or ability to camp on the field, and nearby resturant or crew car availability. I can see there are many nice little airports but I am looking for those with experience with any of them for suggestions, this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

LuVerne MN

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KLYV

We stayed there last trip, good place, airport car, town lodging/food easy to find.

FBO had BBQ lunch for OSH bound travelers too. :D

I plan to stay there again the next time we go to OSH.

Last edited:
If you want to get in a little closer to Oshkosh, about 30 miles west is a great little relaxed airport, Wautoma (Y50) that has on-field camping, showers in the FBO, and the local EAA chapter has burgers, brats, beers and soft drinks available in their hangar every evening of AirVenture week. Some folks camp there all week instead of camping at OSH and simply fly in each morning, and back to Y50 in the evening after the airshow is done. I believe there's a shuttle bus makes the trip back and forth each day too for those who don't to commute by plane or when the weather is IMC. I used to stay in hotels in Wautoma each year for my first 5 trips to AirVenture. We even managed to have a rental car delivered to the airport (reserved many months in advance, of course).

We stopped at Wisconsin Rapids coming in from the north west last year. The airport ID is KISW and the folks there were VERY nice. They put us up in a hangar, drove us to a hotel (food across street) and picked us up on their way in to work at 7:30 the next morning. This made for a perfect early / uneventful arrival into KOSH before the rush.

Back