What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage order question

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Everyone,

I remember when ordering the wings there were quite a few deletions and add ons ordered. Are there any common add-ons and deletions for the fuselage kit? I'm trying to place my order in the next few days. Thanks!

Mine was mostly done (QB state) by another but dual brakes, if you want them, comes to mind and an add-on. Also, if planning for stainless/teflon brake lines, delete the Vans stuff and call Tom at TSFlightlines

Some non-Vans add-ons:
* Super Track mod (for slider)
* Almost -14 mod
* Wing root aileron control rod boots from FlightLine Interiors

Deletions

I just checked my order. The only fuselage deletions were the stock Matco brakes. I bought the Beringer kit. The tubing has a use even if you plan TS Flightlines. Also too cheap to bother deleting.
Finishing kit had several changes. Deleted tires and wheels. Changed canopy to SC-15 tint. No powder coat on canopy frame parts.

Raymo:
Thanks for the reply, I didn't even think about deleting the brake lines but as Larry mentioned I will probably not bother as I might have a need for them. I like the other mods you listed, I was planning on the supertrak mod.

Larry:
I'm gonna send you an email to discuss the finish kit options and brakes.

Thanks for the replies guys, I just felt like I was missing something as there were all kinds of things on the wings that needed added/deleted.

From the finishing kit, I deleted the cowling (went with SJ), motor mount (picked one up from a A to non-A conversion), brakes, wheels and tires (Grove).

Keep in mind that the deletion of components does not get you full credit for their cost. I ended up spending slightly more for my used motor mount than it saved me by deleting it.

From the finishing kit, I deleted the cowling (went with SJ), motor mount (picked one up from a A to non-A conversion), brakes, wheels and tires (Grove).

Keep in mind that the deletion of components does not get you full credit for their cost. I ended up spending slightly more for my used motor mount than it saved me by deleting it.

I have always wondered if that is the case. I'm guessing because it takes them more time to prepare things for shipping. Who knows.

This applies to both the fuselage and finish kit. If you are putting in a park brake, matco parking brake is worth ordering, plus delete the existing brake lines, as they won't fit when you have the park brake in place and you will need to fabricate some new lines. Ordering firewall and belly fire protection now is worth considering (titaniumgoat.com for titanium, McMaster Carr for stainless foil and Aircraft Spruce for fiberfrax or use and equivalent biosoluble material like Morgan Superwool HT). Along those lines, you may also want to delete the 2" heater vent, as this is aluminium and an alternate stainless version is available online. You may want to order choose to delete your master solenoid and order the low draw Blue Seas solenoid to that you can get the arrangement right on the firewall to rivet on doublers, and perhaps even the battery box from EarthX if you are going down that path (and subsequently delete the PC680 box from Van's which weighs almost the same amount as the entire EarthX battery). If you operate off grass, then you may want to look at a tire delete and ordering the 380/150x15 for one inch extra diameter and width (but will still fit in the regular wheel pants). The Van's cockpit vent kit is also a little rough and ready, so you may want to order some fancy vents from Stein or equivalent, as fitting these early is a good idea as you may have to make longer flanges to interface with the fuselage skin. You'll still need the Van's vent kit as it contains all the tube, NACA ducts and hose clamps you will still use. If you are going with an Andair fuel pump, get that early so you can fabricated the mounting position in the center tunnel. Just make sure you get allow plenty of room for the bends and flaring in the lines, as these take far more room than you will expect if you haven't flared or bent lines below. I didn't and I had to re do my pump installation. Where you are going to place your fuel filter/gascolator is another one to think about. Most pump manufacturers require these upstream of the pump, so I put one in each wing root, so this is another thing to be thinking earlier than later.
That's about all I can think of for now.
Good luck.
Tom.

This applies to both the fuselage and finish kit. If you are putting in a park brake, matco parking brake is worth ordering, plus delete the existing brake lines, as they won't fit when you have the park brake in place and you will need to fabricate some new lines. Ordering firewall and belly fire protection now is worth considering (titaniumgoat.com for titanium, McMaster Carr for stainless foil and Aircraft Spruce for fiberfrax or use and equivalent biosoluble material like Morgan Superwool HT). Along those lines, you may also want to delete the 2" heater vent, as this is aluminium and an alternate stainless version is available online. You may want to order choose to delete your master solenoid and order the low draw Blue Seas solenoid to that you can get the arrangement right on the firewall to rivet on doublers, and perhaps even the battery box from EarthX if you are going down that path (and subsequently delete the PC680 box from Van's which weighs almost the same amount as the entire EarthX battery). If you operate off grass, then you may want to look at a tire delete and ordering the 380/150x15 for one inch extra diameter and width (but will still fit in the regular wheel pants). The Van's cockpit vent kit is also a little rough and ready, so you may want to order some fancy vents from Stein or equivalent, as fitting these early is a good idea as you may have to make longer flanges to interface with the fuselage skin. You'll still need the Van's vent kit as it contains all the tube, NACA ducts and hose clamps you will still use. If you are going with an Andair fuel pump, get that early so you can fabricated the mounting position in the center tunnel. Just make sure you get allow plenty of room for the bends and flaring in the lines, as these take far more room than you will expect if you haven't flared or bent lines below. I didn't and I had to re do my pump installation. Where you are going to place your fuel filter/gascolator is another one to think about. Most pump manufacturers require these upstream of the pump, so I put one in each wing root, so this is another thing to be thinking earlier than later.
That's about all I can think of for now.
Good luck.
Tom.

Tom thanks for the very detailed list there, that is exactly what I was looking for! Although now I have even more choices to make... :D

No worries. What was intended to be a one liner ended up being a complete rant. I was just on a call with a friend building a -9 and he is still in two minds about whether to build it the good version or the A version;)
I told him that he should at least install the WD-409 tail spring mount so that he can easily convert it in the future, or anyone else that chooses to buy it.
Tom.

Back