What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pirep on Dynon SV radio?

Check6

Well Known Member
I know many are flying with the Skyveiw platform but I am wondering about their new radio as I have not physically seen it. It looks like it would be great to add into an 8 panel especially since it can be mounted vertically. I am wondering if it is too small, can you see it in these bubble canopies, and its performance? Pros and Cons from users?
Thanks for the pirep.

Love it. You never have to memorize or look up a frequency ever again. Once you learn to "push" the freqs from the EFIS, you just punch the button you need.

The TX/RX quality seems as good as my G430. The range might be slightly less but that could be just an antenna issue.

I've got one in my RV-9A panel. It works great. I did have some initial issues with the radio. It took me almost 2 months to trouble shoot the problems with transmitting. Wiring was fine, antenna swapped, coax OK, ground plane OK, etc. I sent it back to Dynon, then they sent it back saying it passed their tests. It was still acting up on transmitting - cutting in and out on a variety of frequencies. We finally put a frequency counter on it and saw that it was jumping around off the programmed frequency. Another return and this time Dynon sent me out a new transciever unit. It has been working great since. Hopefully, my problem is rare and Dynon can root cause the frequency stability issues with my original unit, or at least add this kind of testing to the QA process.

love my dynon com radio

I love my Dynon comm radio. audio quality is very good. you can either download the destination airport freq from the dynon display or use the radios knobs to select an airport then use the dedicated radio buttons to call up the freq you want.

you will do a lot less writing down of freqs and a lot less knob turning to put in the right freq.

SV radio antenna

Guys,

On the same subject but a slight topic shift, what antenna are you using? I ask because the SV manual does not appear to provide specific guidance.

I plan to install one of Stein's VHF Comm, Bent Whip Antenna, Part No. CI-122 @$199.

Many thanks,

R

Back